need new harddrive, what to get?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dan avoN7, Mar 17, 2006.

1. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

Right now for my main harddrives i am running 2 WD Rap. Drives in Raid 0. I need room for storage and want to pick up an extra drive for all my crap that I don't use often but want to keep on my computer incase I ever do need the files. I just want a huge drive that will perform well when i need to get to the files. What would you guys recommend that is in the 200-300GB range, perform pretty well (dont need crazy fast as this is just for files), and won't cost too much. Oh and another plus would be if I could pick it up from a local Fry's instead of having to order online.

Thanks!

2. twinturboteddy

twinturboteddy Bling Bling!

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I picked up a Maxtor 300gig SATA from outpost.com the other day for $99 shipped.

4. johnson

johnson New Member

regular price for 250gb hdd is $100. people like Western Digital, Seagate, and Samsung in no particular order. I like Samsung.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Anything made by Seagate is quality. If it doesn't fail in the first day, it probably never will. I've never had one fail, and I don't know anyone else who has either. I can't say the same about any of the other brands, except maybe Hitachi laptop drives, but that's because they're built-IBM-tough.

6. motivez

motivez New Member

Seagate also has a 5 year warranty, longest out there for HD's afaik.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yeah, and no company that wants to stay in business for long will give you a warranty that's longer than the average lifespan of the product. So a 5-year warranty means you can expect the drive to last at least that long.

8. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i only use seagate drives in my tivos. it's a harsh environment in a tivo, even with an extra fan installed, the drives never get to spin down and are constantly writing to the disk.
    i have a 250 gig 7200.8 in one of of tivos and a 300 gig 7200.8 in the other tivo.
    check out outpost.com they have awesome deals on seagates. they might not be super performance because you can usually only find ones that are ata 100. but they will work for at least 5 years

9. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

thanks for the help guys, looks like i'll go with a seagate. now i was reading some reviews and saw they came out with the 9 series not too long ago. I was looking at the 300gb drive that has the 16mb buffer.

Looking to just pick it up at Atacom.com since they are 2 minutes from my work and I can just swing by to pick it up on monday. Their site pricing was a little confusing. heres the link

http://www.atacom.com/program/ataco...CH=SEARCH_ALL&KEYWORDS=HDSA&SUB_VAR=HDSA_SEAG

They show "hot" next to all of the 8 series and the pricing is more on the 8 series. But the 9 series show no attention and is less. Is this just a marketing stunt they are doing to get rid of all the older drives and they hope people who don't know about the newer drives will buy the 8 series. If i'm missing something here then please point it out to me :)

if i'm ready that right then i'll most likely go with this drive

http://www.atacom.com/program/print...RCH_ALL&Item_code=HDSA_SEAG_30_0H&USER_ID=www

10. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

good choice

11. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd: I use Seagates in my file servers at work as well. They're pretty constantly thrashed since all the data for the office is on there. Haven't had a problem yet.

12. dorkultra

i got that 300 gig seagate for $80 after rebate last week from outpost.com

13. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

14. dorkultra

15. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

ic.

anyone have any more input on post #9 that i made. I will be swinging by atacom tommorow during lunch and would like to pick up the drive.