Need new clothes for college -- help please!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Thisisnew, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

Im going shopping on either wed or thurs in nyc..going to soho (broadway/mercer etc area) to buy a bunch of new stuff for college.

Im 5'8 ~150 pounds (skinny-fat is a good way to describe me). I dont want to dress like Im in high school anymore (slightly baggy jeans, white air forces, polo shirt is my typical style right now). I want to spend a good amount of money so I look good. Basically I need help with everything -- I need new shoes, jeans, a winter jacket (going upstate for school), a good pair of boots, some tshirts and some long sleeves shirts...maybe even a couple of dressier (is that a word?) shirts.

I really need some advice from you tsl'ers. I was looking at purcells for casual shoes, and Ive yet to really look at them on person but after looking at some online I saw some I like...so I think Im going to go with a pair or two or so of those. Maybe some chucks too, although I think they look kind of skinny for my foot :dunno:

I have no idea about shirts/hoodies/jacket/jeans though. I want to dress 'older' so I dont look like a typical high school kid anymore. Basically Im lookiing for advice as to what stores to go to while Im there, and maybe some examples of brands would be cool too. Ive been a jeans and polo shirt guy for 4 years now; while I dont mind it I need a little bit of change.

If you guys can reccomend anything -- any article of clothing, it will be a great help. Im really in the dark here, so anything you reccomend would be great. I have a decent amount of money saved up (~1000 or so) so Im hoping I can at least get a good amount of clothes. Any advice at all would be great :x: I looked through the noobie guides here and stuff, and while their was a lot of info it was kinda too much to take in at once :o I need some individual help.

Also, as much as Id love to shop exclusively at dior, I cant buy 3 pairs of jeans for 350$ each. At the very least, I need a (pretty warm, it snows a lot in Binghamton) jacket, boots, and a few outfits/shoes. Any advice at all that you guys can give me would be absolutely amazing :bowdown: :bowdown:

cliffs: need new clothes for school, going to soho this week, need advice on what stores and whatnot to check out; im 5'8 ~150 "skinny-fat"

2. JayDC7

JayDC7 oh my god it's sasquatch!?

i think uniqlo would have a lot of stuff you need..

spend money on shoes (boots), jeans, and coat (the stuff you will wear everyday) and fill in the rest with basics, and not tacky graphic tees.

3. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

I went through the waywt thread (last ~20 pages or so) and picked out some of the styles I liked so you guys could have an idea of what Im looking for. Unfortunately I dont think I can pull some of these off...for example hisma is in pretty good shape :naughty: and some of the other things it looks like Id need to be taller/skinnier...but hopefully this can help you guys help me :x:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^--jeans in that pic

[​IMG]

^--not the tie though :o
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

Actually now that I think about it, Im looking to spend under 2000$ at max...thats my budget...of course spending less than that would be optimal. That should be plenty hopefully?

Going to be now, hopefully I wake up to some help :x:

5. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

Will be sure to check it out, thanks

6. JayDC7

and other than the jeans, a lot of the clothes in those pics were probably bought at h&m, american apparel, or urban.

check out blue in green if you want to get a pair of denims. or join the OT samurai contest.

7. eph

eph :E

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm looking for jeans like those two... anyone know the brand or some websites that sell those? thanks...

also, i live in mississippi so it's kind of hard to find clothing like that around here

8. dibalicious

dibalicious sexy crew

^ 2nd pic is me haha. they're sling & stones daniel veggie indigo. got them @ revolveclothing on their big sale in january. I'm not sure they sell them anymore. a few pairs are on sufu I think.

9. JayDC7

top are flatheads 310s (i believe) which you can get at www.selfedge.com

i think the bottom ones are sling and stones but i could be wrong. diba could tell you. i think he said he got them from www.revolveclothing.com

both are over 250 retail, but there are other pairs of jeans which achieve the same look with a lower price tag, namely APCs.

10. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

Cool, I wouldnt mind buying one pair of jeans in the 200 dollar range...but Im going to need more than one pair, so Im looking to spend less than that...preferably under 150 a pair if thats possible at all :o

Also, anyone know what stores would carry those? Ive heard about blue in green, will definatly be stopping there. What i mean is, are these carried in stores all over or am I going to have to go to a specific store?

11. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

And thanks for the quick responses :bowdown:

in for more info and advice :x:

12. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

Another question: Ive noticed that a lot of the raw denim is a very dark blue color-- are they all like that, and if so do they naturally fade to a lighter color? Or am I just an idiot and just havent looked at any yet that start off as a lighter blue

edit: also what is the exact difference between slim/straight/relaxed/bootcut? I mean obviously the slim are a bit tighter etc, but what are the real differences between theM?

13. Gomer

Gomer New Member

If you want a good read hit the Denim thread in here and that will explain quite a bit. But here is the quick and dirty:

Raw denim is just that, raw. No wash at all that makes it lighter, so they all start raw and you end up wearing in the "wear" on them. They do last longer and creates more of a custom denim as well. This is just a very short description, the denim thread is a wealth of information on it.

Slim is as you said the tighter fitment throughout the whole leg and at the base. Straight has no variation all the way down the leg of the pant (hence why it's called straight). Relaxed is typically a pretty baggy style. Bootcut will be well fitted through the legs down to the bottom where it flares to fit around your shoes or "boots" (also the reason for the name).

14. eph

eph :E

ouch that's expensive, i'm looking for something less than 100.... if possible, but thanks for the quick responses :bowdown:

15. pokpok

pokpok New Member

definitely stock up on stuff at uniqlo

graphic tees at uniqlo are nice.

get button up shirts there, they have a lot of styles.

few hoodies in black or grey...probably one lightweight and one heavier

get a pair of slim straight denim, one pair dry indigo, one pair washed, a pair in gray and a pair in black.

grab a few pairs of chinos in khaki and gray.

get a few pairs of these, theyre 16 bux and looks good with everything http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urba....startDate&navCount=609&navAction=jump&color=

16. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

after looking through the denim thread and the sufu denim forum, this shit sure is much more complicated than im used to :o

and thanks for the explanation of the differences, the names seem to make sense :o i think im more inclined to something of a relaxed/straight cut

17. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

:bowdown: awesome post, looking for more advice like this

will i be able to find those at stores (and preferably for that price :o ) id prefer not to order anything online, as i like to see how it looks/fits etc

18. epitaphex

epitaphex New Member

you're going to soho anyways, be happy you have uniqlo

go in and grab everything you see that catches your eye and try it on

No disappointments.

19. pokpok

pokpok New Member

graphic tees are 20 bux each

button up shirts are 30-40...get light color button ups with thin stripes, gray/olive or black military style button up, a few checkered shirts and a flannel

denim and chinos are 40-80, i think the raw selvedge at uniqlo is 70 or 80..

hoodies should be 40..

20. pokpok

pokpok New Member

:werd:

look around how ppl dress around soho, those fuckers can dress. :eek3:

21. pokpok

pokpok New Member

22. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

:bowdown: those prices are exactly in my price range

i was browsing revolveclothing and nudie jeans and a few other sites...found plenty of stuff i like, and all of its like 200 or 300$ each...i was pretty worried for a second

23. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

yeah i was told jcrew has some nice stuff...was also told h&m has some good stuff for cheap too? although i heard their stuff was pretty slim fitting, but i may have it confused with another store :o

by the way you guys are awesome, quick responses at 4 am :bowdown: :bowdown:

24. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

when you say one pair washed, does that mean one pair prewashed? as in the rest will be raw denim that i have to wash after wearing them in for a while? im still new to this whole denim stuff :o

25. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

and anything with fades/whiskers/honeycombs etc will be prewashed correct? raw denim has none of that? (until you make it yourself of course :) )

edit: also after relooking at revolveclothing and actually organizing it by price, they do have some nice stuff thats affordable

but again im just going to wait until im in soho and can try it on, as i know absolutely nothing about any of these brands/sizing/etc

hell honestly i havent even heard 98% of these brands til like 3 days ago

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008