Need new cell phone v. AT&T

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by WooleyBooger, Oct 18, 2007.

1. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

I need a new cell phone...my Razr v3 keeps turning itself off, and i have found no help either online or with AT&T on how it can be fixed. So...i am looking to replace. I'm not due for an upgrade until Jan. but i can't deal with this shit any longer. Like right now i am out of town, with the phone being my only source of calling home (or getting calls from home) and the damn thing is off EVERYTIME i pick it up.

So here's the requirements:
    MUST be AT&T...i'm in a contract, and i'm not switching.
    Good call quality/reception...where we live we don't get a full signal anyway, and inside iw worse.
    Decent camera...i actually take pics fairly often to send back and forth, and the Razr's camera sucks.
    I don't need an mp3 player, videos, none of that shit.
    Wifi would be a plus, but not required.
    Full qwerty would be a plus, but again not required.
    I also don't need a smartphone...would be ok, but again...not required.
    Finally...must be cheap! I don't want to spend $300-$400 on a phone. I have before and it doesn't seem to matter. I've never had a phone last until i'm eligible for the upgrade...and i'm not rough on phones at all...in fact my razr still looks brand new.
    So lets set a limit at $300 MAX...and the lower the better, but i don't want an absolute POS.

Choices?

Are phones like the Razr V3xx or Sync worth having? These are just a couple i spotted at first glance.

2. heebdawg16

heebdawg16 New Member

I'm also w/ AT&T, and looking for a new phone.

I really just want the smallest possible phone (NOT the pantec though, lol) that works well. And I would prefer to stay far from motorola.

3. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (8925: HTC-8900/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I'm kinda partial to the Tilt.

although I hear the Sync isn't bad. Or the V3xx

4. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

Wait...so you are still in contract but don't want to pay over $300 for a phone? If you are being forced to buy outright retail price since you're in a contract you'll pay $300 for a basic bare-bones phone.

If you can upgrade early (1yr price 2yr cont extension) you're still looking at $300 for a smartphone.

Need more details...

oh, and stay away from the Sync. Krzr is very good for reception. One of our better phones for just a phone...

5. WooleyBooger

Can you elaborate on the 1 yr price, 2 yr extension?

I was under the impression that unless you were eligible for upgrade, at like a year and a half into a two year contract, you would have to pay full price for the phone.

Are you saying i can upgrade now, at a 1 year price (not as good as the new contract price obviously) and extend for two years? How much of a discount is that?

I really can't spend that much on a new phone. My deal is that my wife also needs a new phone, we are on a family plan started on the same day. We both got razr's and were both really happy with them until we started having problems. She is rough on a phone...dropped her razr several times, and ends up using only the car charger which ruins the battery. I take really good care of my phones, never dropped, full discharge of the battery then full recharge on home charger, etc, etc.

So for me to spend $400 or so on 2 phones would be $$$$. My first pick would be an iphone, but its $400 and then you have to have the iphone plan on top of that. I really like the 8525/tilt also...but again...

I don't have many choices, unless i want to buy used or wait for the contract to run out.

6. BlackWRX02

usually if you are a year or more into your contract you can call customer care and they will note your account so that you can do an "early" upgrade. You pay the 1yr contract price but start a 2yr agreement from that date (if you've been in a year, you're only adding a year to it essentially).

Even still, you're going to pay a hefty price for a decent phone. Here's the thing though....don't go for the cheapest phone because it will work like the cheapest phone.

Decent phones right now are the krzr, nokia 6555, and look at the blackberry's. Right now we are having a sale for existing customers for an instant $50 off, but that may not apply to the early upgrade and you would need to at least try the blackberry plan (get it, then cancel after rebate if you don't use it)

7. WooleyBooger

Would you have considered the razr v3 a decent phone when it was still a new phone?

So the sync and razr2 aren't worth getting? Ideally i would get an iphone (like i said) or the tilt (or 8525). BUt i just can't pay that much...not needing to buy 2 phones.

8. BlackWRX02

Yes until the shit hit the fan and everyone HAD to have one and production went through the roof. I had a pre-release version and it was fantastic. They suck now
    Sync sucks. Razr2 hasn't sold enough so I'm not too sure. Never used one myself. Have not seen one come back yet though

9. WooleyBooger

Is it too early to tell how the tilt is going to be, quality-wise?

Also say i get a phone like the tilt...am i required to have some sort of data plan, or can i carry the standard phone package and say the 200 message plan and be done with it?

Also, if i am in a family plan now...with a few months left in the contract, can i leave the family plan keeping the primary line going...start a single contract for my wife, and get a phone for the "new customer" price?

10. WooleyBooger

11. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (8925: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) Opera 8.65 [en])

I'm still loving my Tilt. Although get a new browser.

you can activate it with any plan you want. however with no data plan, you arent going to use the device anywhere near to what its supposed to be.

12. WooleyBooger

The thing is, any plan that allows me to use the internet or check work email or whatever is going to be pricey...i think $40 is the cheapest unlimited. Thats added onto your regular "minutes" plan i'm sure. For any internet usage, i am almost always in an area equipped with wifi...not always, but most of the time.

So i'm thinking i could live with the data plan, have a text message plan added on, and use the wifi for when i need to get email or surf the net.

Is there a cheaper way to do it? I don't need a ton of minutes...the 500 minutes or so plan is fine. The 200 text message plan is almost always enough too (i have it now). Going by that, what is the cheapest way to get wap (i guess thats what it is referred to) internet and email access, and what i listed above?

Also is there any additional service needed to be able to check email? Or just a connection?

13. WooleyBooger

So, i just got back from lunch...and while i was out, i got to thinking about what i really NEED in a phone/service.

Here's what i came up with:

I need a phone with wifi, a megapixel camera (2mp or greater preferably), the ability to do SMS & MMS (which unless something has changed rules out the iphone)...I WANT a qwerty keyboard, and the ability to run a different browser (such as Opera mini). As far as service...i can stay on my family plan with the messaging pack. I don't use an excessive amount og minutes or messages, but i do tend to send quite a few MMS back and forth to people. I'll do any surfing email checking on the wifi, and if the job requires that i be able to check it from anywhere...they're gonna have to pay for it.

I realize that most of the smart phones these days fir those requirements...and that i'll be really under utilizing the phone (unless i get a data plan), but that is really all i need.

Now, what is the cheapest/best phone (compatible with AT&T) that meets my needs/wants?

14. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

The wifi, browser, and qwerty keyboard kill it and put you into a drastically different ball game.

You could do the smarthphone (3125) route, would give you different browser access and wifi.

Really, you're down to 8525 or the 8925. Blackberry won't give you separate browser access and/or camera.

I just wanna say, if you're getting on the internet... get a data package. Unlimited or not.

15. BlackWRX02

8525 has been end-of-life'd so thats out unless you get it right away.

Sounds like you need a tilt to me.
    Too early to say how they're going to be. Haven't seen one come back so far.....

You'll have the same complaint most people do. Dialing while on the go (or at all really) is not a fun thing to do. Touch screen dialpad FTMFL :down:

You could get away on the 19.99 media max plan for unl web and 200 mssgs (though good luck getting the rep to do that for you. Most people just buy the phone w/o the plan and then add the media plan online through account manager)

16. WooleyBooger

I very rarely have to dial a number by hand...99.99% of my calls are made from the contact list.

So the media max plan will work on the tilt? It gets confusing to me when i hear people talk about different plans for smart phones and for pda phones and then for regular phones. So unlimited web, and 200 messages for $20...which really i will drop my current message plan ($5) so it would only be a difference of $15. I can justify that...and most likely can talk work into paying for it anyways. Supposing i can't get the rep to add the plan, how soon after i get the phone can i add the plan? And can i do all this while remaining in my family plan?

PS- I just looked at my account online and it shows i can add the media max plan to my line. Now whether its just my line, or i'll have to add it for both i don't know.

Whats the cheapest place to get a tilt without having to buy a plan? And do you know what the 1 year upgrade price would be (one year into a two year contract)?

Edit** Thanks for all the help btw...you've had a lot of good info. Now i just hope you are an employee or at least know what you are talking about :eek3:

17. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

I was actually at the store today, there was a Pantech phone that was like a mini version of the Tilt. Pretty cool.

Can't find it on their website... or Pantech's for that manner either.

It should be cheap, data wise (down to $9.99) or so since it didn't appear to be a true PDA phone.

18. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

19. WooleyBooger

considering we have established that there is a reasonably affordable data plan allowing me to access the internet, and then wifi wouldn't be a necessity...are there any other phones i should consider that offer the other requirements (3g since no wifi, qwerty, SMS, MMS, 2+mp camera required, with 3rd party browser support and gps being like to haves)?

20. BlackWRX02

Problem is, any phone that has a full qwerty keyboard will be considered a PDA by AT&T and will "require" a PDA associated plan like the treos, tilts, etc.

Played with the Duo before it was released, and like all other Pantech phones, its pure crap. Felt like it was going to fly to pieces in my hand right out of the box. Don't waste your time.

21. BlackWRX02

negative. Nothing but true PDA's with full qwerty

22. WooleyBooger

I meant other than the tilt that would be cheaper. Like maybe the Blackjack, or Blackjack 2.

And also, you did say that the Media Max plan would be available and work on a PDA phone (like the tilt), correct? Or am i going to be required to carry a more expensive plan?

23. WooleyBooger

You did all this yourself, or bought it that way? Link to website(s) with more info?

24. badguy106

badguy106 Location:Tn