need network help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by j1zzn1t, Jan 12, 2004.

1. j1zzn1t

j1zzn1t OT Supporter

Okay heres the deal i'm helping a friend setup his home network. Heres the situation: cable modem -> router - > two computers

However, we have one more computer thats out of reach of the router [running cat 5 is too much hassle/wifi wont reach, too many walls]. I installed ahome-line nic (phoneline based 10mbps) in one computer in the above which will remain on 24/7. I activated ICS (Win XP) on the ethernet side to share to the phoneline nic in the other computer. I can see shared folders on both sides but the internet does not work.

currently:

Router/Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    Computer 1 (connected via router, ethernet address): 192.168.0.2

I had the phoneline nics set to auto on both sides (I dont think having it on Auto will work). This is where I need help:

Computer 1 (phoneline address):IP? Gateway?
    Computer 2 (phoneline address):IP? Gateway?

What settings should i put in the above? I tried (doesnt work!):

Computer 1 (phoneline address):
    IP: 192.168.0.4
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Computer 2 (phoneline address):
    IP: 192.168.0.5
    Gateway: 192.168.0.4

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

WiFi is out of reach even with a direction antenna on the router pointing in the direct of the out of reach computer?

Moving the router around might also help.

That's all I can't suggest. I've never done anything with phoneline nic setup.

3. JPrice1485

JPrice1485 New Member

If I remember correctly, the computer with ICS enabled will take on the IP 192.168.0.1 and will act as a DHCP to the other computers...but it's been a long time since I've used ICS. I would recommend buying a range extender for your wireless router and let it act as the sole DHCP server for all clients, you'll have alot less problems that way.

4. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

When you try these settings, does Comp1 work? IF you can't get Comp1 to work, then Comp 2 will never work.

5. Stealthy_C

Stealthy_C my Vespa rocks.. ̔̕̚̕̚ ҉ ҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎ ̏̐̑̒ OT Supporter

The router will asign the ips and gateway correct?

The gateways should both be the same...

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Hmmm - no the gateways wouldn't be the same in this case. Personally, I would two completely different IP ranges so you don't fuck up:

Router 192.168.0.1
    Computer 1 192.168.0.2, GW 192.168.0.1

ICS that bitch

Computer 1 Phoneline: 10.0.0.1 Gateway 192.168.0.2
    Computer 2 Phoneline: 10.0.0.2 Gateway 10.0.0.1

But Zourn is right, Computer 1 has to work before you even attempt to anything with 2.

7. Zourn

Forgive me for not knowing much about it, but couldn't you also bridge the connection through WinXP? Or would that be more of a hassle than it's worth?Or does it even do what I think it does?

8. Mark

Mark Diesel Junkie

grrrr, just get a 50 foot cable or if that isnt good enuff, daisy-chain em. I but the router in the basement and ran netwokr cabels down the cold air returns. turn on DHCP server on the router, it it doesnt have one that it is a sucky router, get a new one.

9. Supadoggie

Supadoggie I ♥ my doggah

I think that's what he's trying to do.. ICS (internet connection sharing) which is a feature in WinXP

10. Zourn

ICS makes your computer act like a router, Bridging makes it act like a switch.

(I think)

11. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Hmm well, personally I think ICS is like a proxy/router, and bridging is strictly routing. The difference being as that a normal router (in a corp environment lets say), passes on the original IP to the target computer, there's no "on behalf of..." A consumer router on the other hand, takes on the roll of proxy (on behalf of...), firewall (no one can get into your network) and router (it passes data from one subnet to another).

An 8 port hub sticks all 8 cars on the same road - congestion be damned. An 8 port switch is a nice 8 lane highway without assholes weaving in and out of traffic. I swear, I'm gonna fucking bring a gun with me and start shooting. Mother fuckers don't have a care in the world. I mean, this one time, I was minding...