Need *.NET hosting.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kingtoad, Jan 13, 2006.

1. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

If anyone can provide me a small server account (5mb) with the .NET framework installed and a SQL Database on a Windows server I would greatly appreciate it. If you want some compensation, I could offer you linux hosting and a place to mount a domain if need be.

I'm not looking to purchase hosting off anybody so don't bother advertising. I just want a place to dig into .NET web development. I doubt 5mb will be a harsh hit to your server disk space and I won't be affecting your bandwidth being that I'll be the only one accessing it.

If anyone can assist me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

2. EagerZeroedThick

EagerZeroedThick New Member

what version of SQL do you need ?

3. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

2000, 2005. Doesn't matter to me. They'll all serve the same function.

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

No help for the toad. :sadwavey:

5. MrMan

MrMan New Member

what about creating and testing .net apps on your own local host.

6. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

I'd volunteer if all of my internet-facing boxes weren't linux :hs:

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Because I don't want to.

If I did, I wouldn't be asking this question.

8. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Thanks. It's the thought that counts. :hs:

9. MrMan

MrMan New Member

You could be asking this question for a number of reasons. I can't read your mind. Maybe you don't know that SQL Express and Web Developer Express are free. Maybe you want a server to show other people what you can do with ASP.NET, although you still can do that with your local server. Or maybe you don't use Windows at home. The list of reasons can go on.

Anyway, put it this way. Somebody gives you some space for your ASP.NET files. You have to write the code at your machine. You then have to upload the files to test it. If their server is down, you can't test it. If the owner of the server likes your code, he can take it. I've heard people complain about their webhost stealing their code to use it themselves.

With the local server, you can write and test on one machine. You can see detailed error reporting results. You can see how efficient the code runs, how much memory it uses and so on. You can test your code since you control the server. You don't rely on other people, especially one you don't know.

10. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I have experience as a developer for 10 years. I am very well aware of the differences of developing locally vs. remotely. I do this for a living as well. I just asked a simple question and wanted an answer for that question, not answers for questions I didn't ask.

11. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Then as a developer, you would know there are many solutions to one problem. Your intention is to start getting into ASP.NET. I gave you another solution to your problem, which you may or may not have known already. However, since you only state that it is only for getting into .NET development, there's no reason you need to use somebody else's server.

Also, if somebody asks you a question, and you know there are other solutions, which can be better or solve the same problem, you're going to give your suggestion, and not just answer the question asked.

Anyway, try webhostingtalk.com. You'll find more people there that have servers.

12. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

In your mind, in your opinion, and your association with this view may think there is no need to use someone elses server. However, I do not want to develop on my desktop because I don't want those services running on my desktop. Yes, I appreciate your suggestions, but in the future please read the questions a bit better and reply appopriately. You have turned this thread into a galloping stampede in which I find that I have to you why I want to do this. You have made this thread more difficult than it needed.

I know most people here already will answer the question directly being that they know what I'm looking for. But to those few others who are overly helpful, just please stick to answering the single, one question that I have available.

13. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Actually, I did not make the thread more difficult. If you simply said:
    in post 7, instead of

then it makes more sense that you have a reason of why you do not want to develop locally.

And even so, your reasons are so invalid.
    You want to develop ASP.NET on other people's server, even though you've been developing for 10 years and know the differences of developing locally and remotely.

You do not want to develop locally because you don't want those services running on your desktop, even though you can always turn on and off these services at will.

But anyway, you posted on a public forum. I gave you a solution to your problem. You don't like it. That's the end of it. I'll put a post-it on my computer stating that kingtoad only wants direct answers to his questions, and not any suggestions or solutions.

So to answer the original post:
    No I cannot.

14. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

My reasons on why I do not want to develop locally do not even concern you and infact they are 100% irrelevant at this time. Read my first post, and if it helps, read it out loud so someone else can hear you. At that point you will realize exactly what I am asking.

You're ignorant. I've been a developer for 10 years yes, I am an open source developer. I run linux servers. Hense why I offered a trade in Linux space for Windows space. Do you understand? Is this concept difficult to comprehend? Should I reword it?

I can turn them off and on, yes, but as I've said (Am I repeating myself?) I don't WANT to have NSTALLED on my desktop computer or RUNNING on my desktop even though I have the ability to shut them on and off at anytime.

It's not that I don't like your solution, it's that it's irrelevant and you took you four posts to answer my question. Your solution wasn't in the scope of my problem. How can you give a solution when it isn't in the scope?

I am very specific when I ask my questions. And again, if it helps, you should read it multiple times.

15. MrMan

MrMan New Member

What your first post states is that you are asking for a server to get into .NET web development. I merely suggested that you can get the same results by having a local server. This was the best suggestion on this thread, and yet you decide to say "Because I don't want to. If I did, I wouldn't be asking this question". Now tell me, before I mentioned the local development suggestion, where did you state that you did not want to develop locally. Also, the SQL version question and the "I'd volunteer if all of my internet-facing boxes weren't linux" statements did not answer your questions directly, but yet you felt the need to show an attitude on my suggestion.

Re-read your first post and understand why I made that suggestion, instead of letting your 10-year developer ego get over your head. I do not know your background experience, don't care to know. Somebody else could have posted the same question and not realize that they can do it locally. Therefore, my suggestion would have helped them. They may have responded "oh, I didn't know I could do that, how would I do that?" where you responded "Because I don't want to. If I did, I wouldn't be asking this question." I cannot distinguish a beginner from a 10-year developer like yourself in a forum. So again, it was just a suggestion. If you had responded "I do not want to develop on my desktop because I don't want those services running on my desktop." on post 4, that would have told me that you understood local server development and made a rational decision. Instead, you made that childish response on post 4, "I don't want to.", with no further explanation why. Therefore, I responded with the pros of local server development. Had you let go of your ego for a second, you might understand why I posted further. This is getting nowhere, this is your thread, you make the next and last comment. I'm done here. You apparently understand what you're doing. I'm not a mind reader. I cannot distinguish a 10 year experience developer from a 10 year old from a post on the Internet. Have a nice day.

16. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I don't care to elaborate on why I don't want to develop locally because first off it is irrelevant for that matter and you will only waste more of my time explaining why I don't want to, which wasn't even the goal of the thread. Your attempt to turn it into your goal has failed. It shouldn't matter why I don't want to develop locally because that's not what I'm looking for, except for your own personal insight. Read my first post again and you will realize I'm looking for a windows server with an account on it that I can dabble with. My 10 year old programming experience statement has nothing to do with my ego over you or anybody else but to show you that you're not talking with a noob who has no idea between the differences of developing locally and remotely. I stated that I didn't want to develop locally by requesting server with an account on it. Do you understand the logic behind this?

As said, I appreciate your suggestions however they are worthless and were a waste of both of our time. In the future please take a bit more time to read the question multiple times to avoid this problem. Thanks.

You get last word. I don't care. Your circular logic does nothing to me.