Need Motherboard Reccomendations

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gouda, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Gouda

Gouda New Member

In early February Im going to be getting a AMD X2 4400 I was going to get a ASUS SLI Premium but I really dont think I will need SLI. So i was just wondering if anyone had any had any ideas on motherboards for me. So basically looking for a great Socket 939 board non-sli.:x:

2. fly

fly Goat Snowballer

Still get the ASUS SLI Premium. Its an AWESOME board.

3. Gouda

Gouda New Member

but I dont think I will ever utilize the SLI capability. So why would that board be worth the money? I mean I can be convinced to buy it. So feel free to let me know why you like it so much. Any input from anyone is greatly appreciated.

4. nonplus

nonplus New Member

i'm in the same situation. i got this board bundled with a 7800 gt

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1511546&Tab=0&NoMapp=0

some Asus fanboys have been telling me that i should eBay the board and spend more $$$ on a "better" one

but so far nobody has been able to explain why an Asus is "better"

anyone?

one thing i notice. pci express is x16, which is fine, but if you run SLI, you're in two x8 pci-e slots. that doesn't matter to me because i won't be running SLI. anything else?

5. StainMeNow

StainMeNow New Member

There is really only one thing I can say about ASUS: they're boards are great, but only if they never break. I know, this sounds silly, but have you ever tried to reach ASUS tech support? DAMN, it's impossible, there isnt even a 1-800 number for them and they don't use any sort of reasonable phone system since you constantly get busy signals when you call.

So irritating. Think I'll get a gigabyte board next time.

6. sowapowa

sowapowa New Member

Asus is good because they are pretty user friendly. The bios is not as complicated as say a dfi, but then again you cant tweak every little thing you want.

Asus is boot failure safe. If you try to overclock and the overclock does not work, you don't have to clear cmos. The asus will just boot right up.

If you are into extreme overclocking, you gotta go with the dfi ultra d. It offers a really high HTT - goes over 300HTT easily.

If you do not overclock, there is really no need to get a high end board. Lots of people are saying that the asrock (value division of asus) dual s939 board is good. Its only like $70 and it has some oc potential.

7. nonplus

nonplus New Member

thank you very much.

there's about a 99% chance that i will NOT be overclocking.

whenever i've stuck with mid-high range products (in this case, i am getting an athlon 64 3700+ and an evga geforce 7800gt), i've gotten enough performance that i haven't felt the need to push my system for more

Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  8. nonplus

nonplus New Member

anyone else? :)