MIL Need more money for Iraq soon - Military gives list of unmet funding needs

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by logikbomb, Apr 21, 2004.

1. logikbomb

logikbomb Who's there? Cuz you're gonna get nothin but holes

Full Story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4790545/

Good Parts:
    The US, and I'd be willing to bet no other country, has ever tried to cut taxes durring wartime. Especially a 1.6 trillion dollar taxcut durring a war that is already costing over 100 billion dollars and will soon be getting more expensive. Even if I thought the tax cut would stimulate the economy, I would still say that this is not the right time. We are at war - someone please let the president know.

2. Its only a matter of time before we start to have serious problems with inflation; between the tax cuts, increased govt spending and low interest rates. Alan Greenspan has been talking for the last 2 days on how inflation might pose a threat in the future and how interest rates will have to rise.

I would like to see govt spending brought down and the tax cuts to the rich rescinded. Probably wont happen though.

3. GA400

GA400 New Member

The move from deflation to inflation causing the Fed to raise short term interest rates is a good sign that the economy is strengthening.

4. logikbomb

The point was that weather they boost the economy in long run or not, you don't cut taxes when you're at war. It just doesn't work. Liberals used to be called "Tax and spend liberals" by those dumb enough to think that was an insult, but isn't that better than "don't tax and spend" which is exactly what Bush is doing now?

5. TheRemains

TheRemains If I sound disrespectful, it's only because you're

Don't forget the No Child Left Behind Act is also underfunded by 4 billion dollars.

6. RMNIXON

RMNIXON New Member

Has any country not incurred debt in wartime? I think you mix apples and oranges here? But you write the President anyhow.

7. logikbomb

^ Hmm maybe I don't understand... debt in wartime is normal, I don't blame the president for presiding over a deficit economy. However, I do blame him for increasing that debt with a 1.6 trillion dollar tax cut. Like I said, this country, and I'm will to bet any country, has never attempted tax cuts durring wartime - because it just doesn't make sense. How is that apples and oranges?