GUN Need more Glock help based on recent experience...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WooleyBooger, Dec 17, 2007.

1. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

Ok, so i am looking to purchase my first Glock...actually my first handgun purchase other than my Ruger MKIII. I have shot a few different guns in the past and here recently.

Here's my situation...I am looking for something for SD/HD and future concealed carry. For financial reasons...i am currently looking at this purchase as the only handgun i'll will be able to get. Obviously that will probably change, but for now if this is the only gun i get ever...i want it to be the "right" one. Ammo prices are a concern, and as such the majority of my practice ammo will most likely be reloads (my dad has the setup, also i have an uncle with the setup), with a quality factory load for business.

I have now shot a G22 and a G27 a few times apiece. I like the G22, but in the future, i am afraid it would be too big to conceal comfortably. I liked the G27 alright, and did ok with it...but it wasn't nearly as comfortable being so short, and if i'm only buying one gun i don't want this one. I have held the G23 and it feels great in hand...the perfect mix of the G22 & G27, however i have not shot it.

How much can i assume from my experience with the G22 & G27 (and holding the G23), to base a decision of buying a G23 or even a G19...without ever having shot either? I feel like i can predict what the G23 will be like to shoot, somewhere in between the G22 and G27...if i am wrong please correct me. But having never shot any of the Glock 9mm's can i base a judgment/prediction? There is no one around here with one that i can borrow to shoot.

I am really thinking i want the 9mm, but having never shot any of the Glock 9mm's...i'm having a hard time "pulling the trigger" so to speak. I think i would be ok with the G23...but would i be better with the G19 i guess is the question. I know i would save on ammo with the 9mm...but i can't help but think, what if i get one or the other and end up wishing i had gotten the other?

The gun will be ordered, as the only place around here with any in stock is Gander Mtn. They only stock .40's and are pricing them at $599 with the regular sights.

Short of finding and shooting both the G19 & the G23, can anyone provide any help/insight/advice?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I conceal a G22 no problems. I find the longer grip to be more comfortable than the G23.

However, the .40S&W is a bit snappy. I wish I had gone with the Glock 21SF from the get-go. If ammo cost is a concern, then by all means look at the G17 -- which I think is a supurb all-around handgun.

3. WooleyBooger

You mind if i ask which holster you use to conceal the G22?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have a CTAC that I use at the small of my back. Works fine with a polo shirt over top, not tucked in.

I have heard the MTAC is better, so I'll probably end up trying one of those out.

5. Didact

Didact I have no idea what I'm doing

G23 and G19 will be completely identical in form, shape, size, ect. The only effective difference in my opinion will be the cost of ammo.

100 rnds of 9mm for $14 at wally world or 100 rnds of 40cal for $20 That little difference DOES add up after a while.

I have a G23 prior to selling it to an LEO and I loved it. Shortly thereafter I purchased a G19 due to lower cost of ammo (paramedic in college and broke hald the time).

6. WooleyBooger

Hell yeah...that's like buy 3 get one free in 9mm compared to 40.

7. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

Glock 19.

8. Keesh

Keesh New Member

If you liked the 23 you'll like the 19.

9. WooleyBooger

What are you guys' opinions on the Home Defender package? Sounds to me it's a couple hundred dollars more, but you get 2 extra mags, tactical light, Trijicon sights, and extended mag release and slide stop. I also read somewhere that it comes with the lighter trigger pull...but can't confirm.

I know that the G22 i shot had the standard sights, and the G27 had some sort of night sights...and i MUCH prefer the night sights. But from what i've read, Glock's night sights are not the same as the Trijicons.

10. WooleyBooger

I've only held the 23...shot the 22 and 27 though.

11. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

I love my 19. Why can't you shoot one to make sure it works well for you?

My 19 in a High Noon Tailgunner:
    [​IMG]

12. WooleyBooger

Can't find anyone around here that has one to let me shoot...and no place around rents them.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

agreed. Mags are $20 and can be had anywhere. Get the stock gun and add some mepros.

14. Lightsped

Lightsped Glockaholic

The OP answered his own question. You liked the G22, but felt it was too big. You liked the G27 but felt you could do better with a longer barrel. So tyhere you go. Look into the compact Glocks. G23 for 40 or G19 for 9mm. I like 9mm better than 40, but thats just me. I have friends who prefer the 40 over the 9mm. It really isn't that big of a difference. So there you go, check out the G19 or G23.

15. Werm

Werm Guest

I would have to agree with this post. I own a G23 also and thinking about selling it for a G19.

A 9mm IMO is a great round for self defense (with the right ammo) and of course any caliber you need shot placement. It's not as snappy as larger rounds so recoil is more controllable if that high-stress time ever happens.

I'm fine with the .40 but I find myself shooting it less because my other guns are cheaper... and that's not good considering it's my carry. So to save money I'm going to "down grade" in caliber.

16. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Where in texas is you?

17. WooleyBooger

Very NE corner.

18. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

G19 with XS Big Dots. Buy one at a gun show for $450 then walk directly to TR Graham's booth and purchase the Big Dots and he will install them.

19. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

G19 + VM2 = win

20. el capitan

el capitan New Member

i love my g23, but i hate the cost of ammo. so if i had to do it all over again i'd probably buy the 9mm.

21. Werm

Werm Guest

Ditto :mamoru:

All my other pistols are 9mm

22. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Go with the 19, I love my 26, but want a 19 now too.