A&P Need more art up in this bitch

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by srfrogger, Aug 4, 2008.

1. srfrogger

srfrogger New Member

I have been going through what I call "drawer's block" where I have had no inspiration for years now. I have tried to re-pick up sketching and have even dabbled in paints (acrylics since its cheap).

Well I have been in D.C. for the summer and the city has really been my muse. So I picked up a sketch pad and began to get back into it. Here is the first/latest one that I finished.

[​IMG]

I have made minor changes to it since taking the picture like rounding out the canister and minor shading.

2. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

I like the concept.

3. srfrogger

srfrogger New Member

Thanks. Feel free to criticize, I have been trying to open up about showing what I am working on. I get all shy and shit.

4. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

The gas mask isnt defined enough so the big part at the end looks separate and the other part looks like a nose. Any reason you didnt add color?

5. srfrogger

srfrogger New Member

Yeah, definition is tough using this type of paper because it has very deep ridges.

For one, I draw using charcoal and I have always enjoyed shading black. By color, i take it you mean the flower? I didn't think about that, I like that idea but I need to pick up a good set of colored pencils.

6. srfrogger

srfrogger New Member

I see what you are saying about the canister being separate, it might be the quality of the pic. Ill take another stab at it when I get home.

7. Bloke

Bloke Banned

you draw the hand well

8. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

Minor nit picking here, overall it's a nice piece. I like the concept! It reminds me a lot of this pic (minus the flower)!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekanize/1805196535/sizes/o/

Here are some areas to look into. Just my .02 though.

left arm?

The subjects right eyepiece needs a little work. It's almost like they're looking in different directions and it's too small compared to the subjects left.

The nose portion of the mask isn't in the same perspective as the direction the subject is looking. I know you said you were / have worked on the canister, so maybe you're working on this area too. Dunno.

The left side of subjects mask is shaded, so the suit needs shading to match.

9. srfrogger

srfrogger New Member

Awesome advice. I used that pic as my reference and added a bit but I didn't have such a good resolution image. That one has awesome detail that I can incorporate.

I see what you're saying about the eyepiece. It does need work.

10. wheresthejon

wheresthejon OT Supporter

I think I might try to recreate this via photoshop...love the concept...except maybe the guy in the mask is military (think WW2 german) desaturated slightly in a field of flowers that are slightly more saturated...

11. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

So the pic I posted was actually your original reference? As soon as I saw your drawing, I immediately thought of that photo! I have that photo as one of my favorites. :bigthumb: I like the gas mask stuff. I think they're really cool looking.

One last little thing, after looking again. I'd try to get a little more separation between the bottom of the filter and the top of the flower. That area is a little busy and hard to see which line belongs to what between the flower and the suit. Shading could really help define one or the other. And like someone else said earlier, nice job on the hand! I always had a difficult time drawing people, still do!