WEB Need major help starting a forum..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by friednanners, Feb 12, 2010.

1. friednanners

friednanners Sliver Member

I basically have no experience making websites, but I just bought a domain that could be a potential cash cow (I have a second one as well that I would want to redirect to the 'main' one). Hell, just the domain name itself could be worth something.

I need to make a forum and I really have no clue which way I should go about doing it. I want to be able to put ads up and whatnot to generate some cash, and I would like to get it correct from the start. So, can somebody point me in the right direction? I don't even know where to start :hs:

2. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

Forums don't just grow based on a domain name. You need active users. In order to setup the forum itself, you could sign up for something like HostGator, then throw on a free PHPBB board. It's pretty simple. Once you have users (which you will need to figure out your own ways, depending on your targeted niche.) you might consider using vBulletin (what OT is on.)

3. friednanners

friednanners Sliver Member

Thanks! And say the forum does start to grow, how do I make money off of it through ads? I'm pretty sure that the audience for this forum is very large and already present, they just have nothing to click on.

4. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Generally you go through something like Google Adsense. They act as a middleman for advertisers. You pay them, they take a cut and pay the advertisers.

5. Jesse

However, adsense sucks donkey balls for forums. Don't waste your time.

Get the users FIRST, then see about getting ads later.

If it's full of ads, why would I want to be in the first set of users of the site?

6. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Why is adsense bad for forums? Is there a better alternative, or do you just mean it's not lucrative to depend on a forum's ad revenue?

7. brujito

brujito New Member

Not lucrative as return users develop a sort of blindness to google ads on forums. Flashy banners/ads do better and inline text ads (read Kontera) do better as well.

8. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

whats the domain?

9. Jesse

Like I said. Get the users first. It won't be expensive to start up. By the time it is "booming" and you need a better host, you'll have a reason to place ads.