Need Mac help ...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NSX, Sep 17, 2006.

1. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

New mac user here. On pc, there's a place where you can find out how much space is left in your hardrive by showing you a pie chart. (ie/ 80gb used, 40gb free...)

Where is this in the mac? :confused:

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

select the harddrive...
    press the apple key + i
    it'll tell you how much space you got total, how much you used and how much you got left...

also, if you open up your drive, it tell you your free space right on the bottom of the window.

3. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

in finder, click on your harddrive and it should tell you how much used/free

4. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

thanks. :) still learning.....

5. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

download the iStat pro widget, then you can see a bar graph of drive space with just the press of a key

6. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

if you went a place that shows everything.. go to applications->utilitities->activity monitor..

it will show you your ram usage, your hd usage, what processes are running, cpu usage, etc...

7. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

Wow cool... thats new to me... interesting to see it all laid out like that...

8. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

also known as iStat Pro, an available widget that can stay on your desktop if you do the dashboard hack.

9. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Activity Monitor != iStat Pro

10. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

true, as that's where it gets all its information but there are some downsides to istatpro..

1. It doesn't tell you your page in/page outs which is something that is important to some people, espc. people who don't have alot of RAM.

2. kind of clutters the widget screen, and or desktop screen if you use the "hack" for people who have notebooks and only have a 12inch-13inch screen..

3. istatpro obviously takes up ram when it's running, which is always if it's a active widget or on the desktop, where as act. monitor only uses memory when it's open for obvious reasons, and to ppl like me who can't afford more than 512mb of ram... lol having some free memory is somewhat important! :wtc:

I also usually like to use things that are provided by apple or that came with the computer rather than 3rd party apps when i can, not sure why, but i do.. so that is also a personal thing for me as to why i use istatpro!

Overall if i had enough memory and more screen space, i'd probably use istatpro, but for now, activity monitor is just fine i think for me.. :) Can't check temp. though with activity monitor, at-least i don't think so, only big downside for me. :wtc:

11. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

You can also set your options so it shows the free space right under the drive on your desktop.

12. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

this i know, but for what the original poster wanted and the poster I quoted, it will do it.