GUN Need light advice for 870

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HorseDick, Feb 5, 2009.

1. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

I'm purchasing my first shotgun, which will be a plain jane 870 w/factory mag extension.

All I want to add to this is a good weaponlight as this will be used exclusively for home defense. I currently have a TLR-1 on my G19 and love it.

I would love to mount my EagleTac T10C2 to the gun, but I don't think it would be convenient turning it on/off in a high pressure situation.

The SureFire fore-end is pretty much out. I'm not paying $220 for an incandescent weaponlight with mixed reviews.

That being said, it looks like the Streamlight 870 TLR-1 rail mount provides a good mounting location where one could easily flick it on/off.

Does anyone have any experience with the Fenix TK11 with a mount and pressure switch? http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-remote-switch.html

I know the TK11 is a great light with good throw and a nice, usable flood so this seems like it would be a great option.

Any insight is welcome.

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

If it were a semi auto then you would have more weapon light options. For a pump I think the surefire is the only practical option. If your running something else attached to a rail you have to to pretty much run it constant on. As your not going to be able to work a momentary switch and work the pump. I would also recommend against using a wire and tape switch with a pump. That is bad stuff waiting to happen.

The surefire weaponlight is well made though the ergonomics of the pump could be better. I'm half set to take a dremel to mine to relieve it so it doesn't beat up my index finger knuckle. Granted this is shooting slugs and 200 birdshot. So lesser usuage you might not get your knuckle as beat.

I like my surefire weaponlight otherwise.

3. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

What yar said is spot on. You can find 'em for cheaper if you look hard enough. I think I paid 180 for mine and I've seen 'em as cheap as 150.

4. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

I used used a light from the cheap light/laser combo from BSA (purchased at Bass Pro) and an ATI mag tube clamp to hold it. It's clamped to the extended mag, and is still slimline enough for my hiding place. The power button is in the rear (it came with a momentary switch, but I don't use it), so it's easy to click on with a finger extended forward of the pump action that you're already holding onto. The light is small and inexpensive, but it's PLENTY bright for home defense. Before I had the 870, I used the laser and light on my AR15, and they've both given great service for years. Not so bad for cheap Wal-Mart style stuff.

5. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Puts the toggle switch in a really awkward postion. Again your going to have to run it constant on. Your not going to be able to reach it with your hand while being able to work the pump.

That mount also looks not it's not sturdy. Spend the money and get the surefire.

7. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

The issue yar commented on is still there. You will have to either leave the light on or off while you're manipulating the slide.

I haven't used one so I can't comment on the quality or anything but Mako makes a forend with pic rails on it that you could mount a light to...

8. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Word. Are there any LED upgrades for the Surefire that are reasonably priced?

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

They got all sorts of options. I just run my weaponlight box stock.

10. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

NVM, I see now that the Malkoff dropins will work. This is getting expensive real quick :o

11. sprite

sprite Active Member

I run a TLR-1 with a tapeswitch on my 870. I have had zero problems with it. I don't run a gazillion rounds through it, but I do shoot it often enough to be proficient, and I have never once had it hang/snag/bind etc. I also haven't had any problems as of yet with it tangling, sagging or losing a significant amount of its "coil tension".

Not saying it is the ideal solution, and I do understand the concern for potential binding, but it hasn't played out in my experience.

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I run one of the old surefire foreends from when they were still called Laser Products. No complaints, spend the green and quit worrying about leds.

13. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

I see now that SureFire has the 618LF (LED) for about $250 shipped on eBay. 80 lumens for 3+ hours, seems like the way to go.

14. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

we're gunna need pics

15. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

Surefire forend for sure. Can't beat an all in one unit.

16. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Im thinking of getting a red dot for my HD Shotgun,

17. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Maybe it's just me, but I'd have a hard time spending $250 on a Surefire setup for a $300 gun.

Maybe I'm a jew and don't know it. :big grin:

18. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

Buy once, cry once.

19. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Those looking for a Surefire forend should talk to BrightFlashlights...got mine for $200 shipped.

20. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

It really depends on the purpose of the light. If it's an outdoor situation, you need to reach out a lot further than if you're indoors. You want to blind your attacker, but not yourself.

21. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

i need to do that same thing.thats the only thing i dont like about the surefire

22. Searchlightt

Searchlightt New Member

At work we use this forend that holds a stinger flashlight (made by Streamlight). They say that the forend only costs like 40 dollars, I could ask them where they get them and let you know if you want. The flashlight can be found for like 60-70 dollars and it is rechargeable.