SRS Need job advice

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cooldragon, Jul 6, 2005.

1. cooldragon

cooldragon New Member

Hi, i dont really know if this belongs here but i need some help. I am currently working 2 jobs at the mall and the jobs are pretty dont require alot of work. I worked about 30 to 35 hours. in one job i make 5.50 with no tax and the other 6.50 with no tax. I just got hired at wal-mart in the electronics departnment and i will be making 7.60. i need to know if the job is worth it or is it too much work and not enough pay. i know this isnt anything serious but just needed some advice on what to do.

2. AstroGirl

AstroGirl If I don't respond it's because I have severe ADD

Well how old are you, and how much do you need to be making? I would take the one job with the higher pay, work is work and having a boring job sucks!

3. johan

johan Active Member

Job 1: 5.50/hr
    Job 2: 6.50/hr
    Job 3: 7.60/hr

I would look at all three jobs for these factors:
    1) pay,
    2) time/shift flexibility,
    3) working conditions,
    4) fun,
    5) good or shitty supervisors,
    6) chance for pay increase or promotion

Rate these three jobs according to these criteria.

The highest paying won't necessarily win out when you look at the big picture. And it's not like their worlds apart in terms of pay anyways.

For example, you might decide to keep the 5.50/hr one because good shifts are always available whenever you feel like it, the supervisors are nice guys, not jerks, and there's a lot of nice girls streaming through the place. You get the idea.

Make your selection accordingly.

4. cooldragon

cooldragon New Member

i am 19 years old and currently in college. the two jobs i have now i really like. they are fun and easy.

i checked how much i would make when taking out tax and i would make 6.08. I dont know how good the job is but most of my friends have told me i would have to work pretty hard. they are going to give me 30 hours so that is not a whole lot of money. my parents are telling me that its better for me to work retail rather than at mall.

Walmart will give me my first raise in 3 months. the other job, i will probably get a 50 cent raise is a month.

i am just thinking if wal-mart is a good option or should i try to get a job at best buy or a better retail store?

5. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Well, right now you're not looking for a career. You just need a source of income to tide you over while you concentrate on your studies right?

Johan's list of priorities is perfect for your situation. I may even lean towards bumping #2 up in priority because each semester you're going to have to ask that your shifts be moved around.

Add #7 to the list -- how good the job looks on a resume.

Walmart is a recognizable name you can at least list on your future resume as retail experience. As opposed to listing something like "I mopped popcorn and mystery spooge off the theatre floors"

6. cooldragon

cooldragon New Member

well the mall job will be very flexible. wal-mart said they will be flexible. The jobs i do arent really that bad. The first job i work at i make custom necklaces and t-shirts. The second job is a small pet store.

I am making 900 dollars in both jobs. I will go down to less than 800 at walmart.

one more problem is that i am getting full financial aid for college. I dont know if working at walmart will cause me to lose the financial aid.

I think making a about a 1000 a month and going to college is not bad.

how much does having wal-mart on my resume make a difference compared to those two jobs?

this is hard to decide.

7. johan

johan Active Member

The first two sound cooler than wal-mart. Cooler as far as chicks are concerned anyways.

If you're concerned about losing your financial aid, work somewhere under the table.
    If I was presented with a resume that included Wal-mart, I wouldn't be particularly inclined to view it positively or negatively. So I don't see resume boosting as a huge factor to go Wal-mart. But that's me personally.

8. Toasty

Well, it really depends. I busted arse in highschool working at a McDs and I'm biased. I favor that on resumes because I knew how much I busted arse in fast food and so I expect this new candidate to have had that same background.

I guess it just goes to show you never know what works for an employer.

Your jobs sound good though.... I wouldn't sweat it then if you've thought it through in terms of your school schedule and the pay.

9. cooldragon

cooldragon New Member

Pretty much everyone i have talked to are fine with my decision but my parents want me to work at walmart. They are saying that it will be better for me in the future. Since i may get raises and promotions. I will talk to them again and see what i have to do.

10. johan

johan Active Member

I'd rather tell a cool chick I just met that I make custom necklaces, than say that I work in the electronics dept at Wal-mart. Hell, ANYWHERE at Wal-mart.

What would you prefer the followup question to be:

1) "oooohh, can I see one? can you make one for me?"
    -- or --
    2) "huh. walmart huh, sounds like fun." <she turns away and goes back to talk to the guy who made these cool custom necklaces>

Now obviously life ain't all about pleasing chicks, but in your case, these aren't exactly career choices, more like just temporary summer jobs.

But if it makes ya happy....I just wouldn't want to work at walmart personally.

11. cooldragon

cooldragon New Member

Yeah i dont really want to work at walmart. . Pretty much all my friends and anybody else has told me that walmart is not the right choice.Hopefully i can persuade my parents

12. johan

johan Active Member

If you can't just flat out say no, I don't want to work there....then...

Just tell em you applied and they turned you down.
    Or maybe the walmart shift don't mesh with your school hours.

PS. I see you're 19 and in college. Time to become an adult. Adults make their own choices.

They accept input from others (like parents) but in the end, they are responsible for deciding what shape their life will take. Don't want to work at walmart? Then don't.

You already have two other jobs, you're not a lazy slacker for gods sake. If your parents insist on running your life to that degree...well...consider putting some distance between you.

13. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Well, in the end happyness is more important then money, i've seen people earning over 70k a year but would rather throw themselves of a building. Don't discard the high earning job just yet , you need to choose wisely, and it's best to 'ask around' goto wallmart, just pretend your a customer, and after you asked where the bread is, you ask a few employee's what its like to work there, and if they like it there. You could ask them questions about

) pay,
    2) time/shift flexibility,
    3) working conditions,
    4) fun,
    5) good or shitty supervisors,
    6) chance for pay increase or promotion

as Johan described. That way you will play on safe, and don't have to engage into the job whilst putting your other job on a draft. Wallmart is a pretty open place, so you have the full oppertunity to explore it.

14. Toasty

Go wherever you want. You're young enough to experiment with different choices for now while you're still going to school. Whatever you end up with just demonstrate that you aren't a flake and then you're golden.

Work somewhere where you can get a good discount. :)