SRS Need job advice please

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Abomb, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Abomb

Abomb New Member

i posted this in ontopic too. I want a wide variety of opinions. im always posting here but now i would like some advice now too please. im thinking in an emotional state and its not productive.

ok so I work for a trash and transportation company part time during school semesters (mon-wed-fri) and take classes all day tues/thurs. ive been working here for about 1 year and 2 months. on our companys property, we have a shop where the mechanics, shop manager, the guy beneath the shop manager and the parts guy is and the office building. ive been working in the office building as assistant to the safety manager, assistant to the hr manager and I manage the gps system installed in our fleet of trucks. I started off at $10 and got a raise to $10.50 after a year. I think im getting underpaid but thats just my opinion.

when I first got the job here I told management I had no interest in working out in the shop. today my boss tells me they want me out in the shop on monday to start as the guy who inputs all of the inventory, parts, boring mindless work into the computer, for 8 fucking hours a day plus my previous responsibliities. he called it a promotion demotion. demotion because im moving out into the shop and a promotion because im getting more work. no fucking mention of a raise. i didnt laugh. im fucking pissed but i kept my poker face on.

so im angry because im out in the shop now, my job now entails doing boring mindless work that I fucking hate that is giong to drive me bat shit crazy. I guess I have done enough here to put it on my resume for when im done with my degree.

pros of job:

1. works around my school schedule
    2. isnt hard but boring as fuck at the same time
    3. pay could be worse
    4. its a job, economy is bad

cons of job:

1.takes 1 hour to drive to work and 1 hour to drive home from work every day
    2. now im going to be where I told them I did not want to work at when I first started here. apparently im the only one smart enough to properly type in work orders to the computer. COME THE FUCK ON.
    3. im going to be doing boring mindless work that does not improve my resume or real life skills. im going to be parts boy on the computer.
    4. pay really blows ($10.50/hr) for having to drive 2 hours a day total to and from work
    5. maybe I could find work closer to home working part time for $12-15 an hour?

im pissed off and emotional right now, my boss told me about 30 mins ago and havent said anything yet. I need some logical advice from ontopic. thanks guys.

2. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

the job market here sucks right now. I know of a few people that would LOVE to have your job making 10.50 per hour. A good friend of mine has a degree and the only job she has found so far is changing diapers in a baby room at a daycare for like $8 an hour, and she's been applying for like 20 jobs per week for the past 8 months or so.

just suck it up and keep going, unless you have some kind of really awesome skillset you aren't going to find anything for $12-15 an hour part time. There are literally thousands of other people here applying for all of those jobs, and if you've looked on workintexas.com recently you'll see that there aren't many jobs posted at all right now compared to normal times.

3. Abomb

Abomb New Member

I was afraid of this :hs:

4. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

two ATX crewmembers were laid off back in february, one of them just got a "temp to hire" job about 3 weeks ago and the other one had to move back to fort worth in july because he couldn't find anything

if you've got a job making $10.50 right now, keep it, chances are very near zero that you can get anything better.

5. Normie

Normie The TBW weight loss plan worked for me! OT Supporter

I agree, times are shit right now.. Hold onto this job, for now, and apply like a mofo to others. If you find another job, bounce.. Maybe you should have a conversation with your boss, and explain that you enjoyed doing the other jobs and would prefer to continue doing them? or maybe just ask for a raise?

6. planeh

planeh Guest

why did you post this here too?

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

You do more work, you should get more money. That's only fair.

You don't like it? You can tell your boss but be careful. If you set a bottom line like "I'll quit if you make me do X" because bosses will likely call your bluff on that. If they call your bluff and you don't quit, you'll lose respect in their eyes and they'll abuse you from then on.

Everyone has to do shit in their job they don't like or even want to do. However, it's important to realize that you have a job and 6.6million or more people have lost theirs in the last 1.5 years.

Sorry man....I feel for ya and I know what it's like to be trapped in a job you hate but you have to go there because you need the money. It sucks but keep your eyes on the job postings and start finding a way to transition to a new company. Nothing feels better than telling a shitty boss to fuck off because you've got a new job.

8. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

An hour in each direction is a long ass drive for $10.50 an hour.

Yeah the economy sucks, but it doesn't stop you from looking. Do what they ask of you for now, but start looking for a new job.

9. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

this.

you're lucky you have a job, but you're in the best position to look for another one on your own time. you even said that your current boss is flexible with your school schedule, so it won't even be hard for you to make it to interviews.

:dunno: when i was in college, i traveled 45 minutes to and from work for less pay than what you're getting. to top it off, my job was manual labor. distance [+ tolls i had to pay], hourly wage, and work forced me to quit my job.

you have nothing to lose at this point. start looking for another job, and maybe you'll get lucky. a negative attitude isn't gonna get you anywhere, so stop listening to people say you aren't going to find shit. you won't know until you start looking.

just out of curiosity, what's your degree field in?

10. Dreams2Reality

Dreams2Reality saywhat

I'll play the devil's advocate.

Just because the 'economy' sucks doesn't mean you should allow yourself to get shit on. Everyone of my personal friends with a 'head' on their shoulders has found a job in this 'tough time', without applying to 100xbilliion places. Granted, I'm in New England and you're down South, I'm sure things are different, but that's that.

From a managers position, I'll tell you they're maximizing their wages by not having to hire an employee to do this task you took on - unwillingly. As a person in a position that was similar to yours, I'd speak up. Even though you're part time, really don't hold 'rank' in the company, and just another employee, you're still a person with needs and necessities in life.

You shouldn't take on additional workload, outside of your 'field' without additional pay. Point blank and period. You need to speak with your manager, or even your HR director (being your his assistant, should be a rather 'easy' conversation) and let them know whats being required from you is doable, however with your current workload you feel compensation is in order.

I make my assistants to all kind've of tasks that's completely out of our market, simply because I know they don't have the back-bone to bitch, complain or deny the task. Employers will take advantage of them if they let you.

I'd definitely see your boss.