GUN Need info about M1 Garands

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by amill94, Nov 24, 2006.

1. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Hey guys, I'm heading to a gun show this weekend with some friends. I've always loved the m1 garand and heard they can be found at gunshows. Problem is I really don't know what to look for. I know they will have some wear since they were manufactured ~60 years ago. What price can I expect to pay for a garand in good shape at a show? Also, is there a certain serial number range to look for or not? Any info would be great.

Thanks

2. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

ahh the M1. I payed $550 for mine and it's a service grade. i recently went to a show and a lot of folks are trying to tie a story to these weapons and jack up the price. for your basic m1, i wouldn't go over $650.

you will want to look for manufacturer, which will most likely be springfield armory. IHC and WRA's are usually more $$$. i wouldn't worry about serial numbers too much if you plan on getting a mixmaster, a rifle with various parts from different years and companies.

i always think the most important thing is measurements on the barrel, probably not available at the show, unless the dealer is :cool:

an m1 can look beautiful but have a shot out barrel and won't be fun to shoot. oh well, i just skimmed the surface, there's more people on here with better info. first step, is decide how much you want to spend, and then go from there.

useful link:
    http://battlerifles.ambackforum.com/viewforum.php?f=109&sid=16182bd89942849d8de36150e9eadc6f

My M1 :h5:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. t1h

t1h Guest

www.odcmp.com

get one for $400-550 there. fuck gunshows, 99% of the garands at gun shows were from the CMP and the sellers will sell a busted up $400 CMP rack/field grade for $800-900.

Just get your C& R FFL license (very easy, fill out the 2 forms, send in $30, wait 6 weeks), then join garandcollector.org for $25, and buy one from the CMP.

if you really want one from a gun show, pull back the operating rod and make sure the mechanical parts that get the clip inserted too all look good (no major pitting, it pulls back smoothly, etc). if you can find a small, flexible light, you can shine it from in there and look down the barrel and see if anyone has shot corrosive ammo in it. You can look on the right side of the barrel between the upper and lower wood pieces after pulling back on the operating rod and see if the barrel has been replaced, like on mine it says SA 1-52 (meaning replaced in january 1952 with a springfield armory barrel)

i wish i could remember more but i've been up all day doing family stuff so i'm just too tired

4. nost

nost New Member

good gun :)

5. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

6. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Wnet to the show today and the ones I saw were priced from $800-1200. :rofl: Some were in good shape, others were not. I'll have to see what I can find online. Thanks for the info guys.

On an upnote, I got a scope riser for my ar, two 30rd mags, and a 33rd mag for my G19.

7. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Still havent gotten a light wood handguard for it?

I have a light wood one but need a dark one :naughty:

8. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

nope. i looked at the process of taking the handguard off and it seemed a little risky. i hear the guards are thin wood and they may break, and the wood is pretty old, ya know...

9. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

It's easy with a large set of needle nose pliers and patience if you're oooking for a simpe easy method.

But yeah, that hand guard is thin and will break easily. I've broken a many of them.

10. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

From CMP is a Field Grade a good shooter? I would really love one, and torn between trying to get one or a AK (already have an AR)

11. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

What is this.. if I dont have a CHL or military experience, what does one do?

Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity
    You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

Current or past military service.
    Current or past law enforcement service
    Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
    Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
    Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
    Concealed Carry License.
    Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
    FFL or C&R license.
    Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
    Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf
    No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages.

12. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

It's essentially your "average" Garand. Nothing super spectactular or special. Will probably be a mixture of good working parts with an ok barrell. It will shoot and work, but the rifling TE and ME (probably a 3) and overall finish wont be anything to brag about.

Good thing is parts are readily availible.

13. t1h

t1h Guest

field grades are supposed to be more banged up and more bullets have been shot through them, but still in good working order. my garand is a service grade. there are plenty of replacement barrels on ebay and gunbroker.com, as well as other parts, stocks, everything you need. i'd rather get a CMP field grade for $400 then get a field grade from a gunshow for $800.

14. t1h

t1h Guest

just get your C&R (6 weeks + $30) and join www.thegca.org. then you can buy all you want from the CMP.

15. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Or just buy one of the stripperd lowers and build the thing yourself. Buy a brand new barrell good looking stock set etc etc.

And you'd still be under the $800 gun show costs.