Need help!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Thrasher, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Thrasher

Thrasher Guest

Earlier this week when rebooting my win2000 server at home I got the following BSOD:
    Now I keep getting that same BSOD when booting.

Microsofts website was no help but I found this: [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]http://www.mcse.ms/message227416.html
    However I'm not so keen in paying $28 for something I hopefully only will use once (shareware version can't repair corrupt file). Is there someone who can temporarily lend me his registered copy of
    [/font][font=verdana, arial, helvetica]regdatxp 1.2 ?

Or does somebody know another way (besides reformating the hdd) for solving my problem?
    [/font]

2. Thrasher

Thrasher Guest

If I'm not mistaken this only works if the registry was backuped. In my case it wasn't :wtc: :nuts:

3. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

type scanreg/fix in the recovery console command prompt

4. shastaisforwinners

5. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

6. shastaisforwinners

I'm useful once in a while ;)

7. Thrasher

Thrasher Guest

Already tried this but again this relies on the registry having been backuped and I :nuts: didn't.
    However if the backups of the registry do exist it should indeed work for w2k as well.

I'm going to try the scanreg thing later. But I'm not sure if it's one of the commands in the w2k recovery console

8. shastaisforwinners

scanreg/fix tries to repair registry files if they haven't been backed up... it's not the safest thing ever, but it's your only option really

9. Thrasher

Thrasher Guest

Tried scanreg /fix in the w2k recovery console but it doesn't recognize the command.

I finally did buy regdatxp 1.2 (paid €28 for it :ugh: ) and let it's 'repair corrupt file'-function loose on the software hive (I copied it onto my laptop) and it said that the file wasn't corrupt :squint:
    That got me even more frustrated.
    So I used redatxp 1.2 to export everything to a reg-file. I started the server in the recovery console copied the software hive from the initial setup to [font=verdana, arial, helvetica] \Systemroot\system32\config\software Then I was able to restart w2k in safemode (with networking) copied the reg-file from my laptop imported it in the registry and tried to boot my server again.
    I got to the loginscreen but it didn't respond to the CTRL-ALT-DEL sequence :squint: So I tried the setup cd from w2k again and now it did recognize my w2k installation so I could repair it.
    Now it's up and running again however I will have to find the time to get it right because it seems that there still are some drivers missing and I don't know which (some windows installer screens keep on appearing on the screen at boottime)
    [/font]

10. Thrasher

Thrasher Guest

Today I received the latest version of RegdatXP (version 1.3). For the fun of it I tried it on the copy of the corrupted software hive, I had copied onto my laptop.
    This time it did find corruptions :squint: and it repaired the hive.

At the moment my "repaired" system is very much instable. After a few days running (without doing much, actually nothing) it's paging file grows to become more than 1GB and pop-ups appear saying the system runs out of virtual memory :rant2:.

I don't think copying the now (hopefully) repaired software hive back onto my server will bring a solution to this. Or can it? Can anyone confirm?