Need help

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Kitler, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Kitler

Kitler Fabulously Gay

So I just bought this car from my dad, but it has some minor damages, and such from the 5 years we have had it. I am new to this whole detailing thing, and I read the stickies, but I am still kinda lost on what, and if I can take care some of these minor flaws. Its an 2003 Honda Accord Ex btw.

Anywho here are some pictures taken with my cell phone camera.
    [​IMG]
    This is a a pretty long scratch along the entire door panel, but I just took a picture of a segment of it. I don't think it went through anymore than the clear coat.

[​IMG]

This is a spot on my leather I have no clue what it is put I have used various leather cleaners to try to get it out and yet no success. I think I have have used armor leather wipes, and a product from Ikea that was sitting in our little cupboard thing.

[​IMG]
    This is a bad picture, and if needed I can get a better on, but this is a odd scratch that is slightly raised and went all the way through to the plastic underneath. Its much more noticeable due to it being raised around the edges.

[​IMG]
    Here is a spot is pretty obvious on my side mirror. I am pretty sure it has to be repainted, but I am sure you guys would know.

Thats all any help is greatly appreciated

-Kitler

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

1. Should buff out with a decent polish. If you don't want to buy a whole bottle, either check out exceldetail.com or there may be a member here that would send you a sample. ED sells small bottles of Optimum stuff.

2. That looks like ink, but I'm not sure. Tried woolite yet?

3. No idea.

4. Yeah, that'll need to be painted. Or just let it ride. Unless you want to paint it.

3. Kitler

Kitler Fabulously Gay

Thanks.

I haven't tried woolite yet, and I'll get some polish in the process. Any help on the third problem would be great. Should I sand it down with something?

Oh and what polish would you guys recommend? Clearkote as stated in the product list? or is there something as good that I could pick up at a autozone, or something similar?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

autozone and o'reilly have some meguiar's mirror glaze stuff (the yellow bottles). I think it's #9 that is an OTC polish.

5. Kitler

Kitler Fabulously Gay

Okey so I am pissed right now I just realized what looks like a couple very large spots that have went through the clear coat, and they are noticeable from a distance.[​IMG]
    And here are two more on same side.
    [​IMG]
    At first I thought I thought it was dust, but when i tried to rub it off with a towel it didn't go away[ I was in the process of towel drying my car]

Is there away to take care of very shallow small dents? Or would I have to take it into a body shop to get it taken care of? Heres an example
    [​IMG]

Oh and also my front bumper is in pretty bad shape it is cracked underneath the car already [ can't be seen at all unless you get under the car and look], and also it is rittled with small rock chips, I am just considering getting a whole new bumper, but idk.
    [​IMG]
    NOTE: Those arn't bugs stuck to the front of my car this is after it has just been washed :(

Also one or two of my chips have rust in them whats the best way to take care of that?

Ugh, this isn't good of a deal as I thought, but its my first car, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

On the good side of things However the woolite trick worked pretty well, there is still a minor stain, but it is much improved than before. I scrubbed it for like an hour last night.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Find a good PDR (paintless dent repair) guy to take care of the dings. They typically charge $50-75 per ding or a set price per panel.

Bug guts will actually etch the paint if you don't remove them quickly enough and once the paint is etched, there isn't anything you can do.

Your best bet is to get a Porter Cable 7424 or UDM (Ultimate Detailing Machine) to polish out the car. Honda's have pretty soft clear coat, so I'd suggest getting some Optimum Polish and Meguiars or Lake Country polishing pads to polish out the car. Clearkote's Carnauba Moose is a goof proof, good looking and pretty durable wax. I use it more than any other wax I have.

7. Kitler

Kitler Fabulously Gay

So is it much better to polish a car with a polisher than to do it by hand?
    I polished/waxed my car and everything, and the first day I couldn't see any of the spots, but now its on the third day, and its been raining pretty heavily since then, and I can see most of the spots again. Did I just do a bad waxing/polishing job?

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Hand polishing probably just filled in the defects.

9. Kitler

Kitler Fabulously Gay

Thanks for your help Scott I will go out and buy a porter in the next couple of days.