Need help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Toolex, May 13, 2005.

1. Toolex

Toolex OT Supporter

So, i got a new hard drive, and im making it my master drive which holds windows. I want my previous drive to just be for storage and whatnot. So, i formated my new drive and installed windows, and hooked my old drive up as a primary slave. Now, when i open My Computer i only see my new drive...Under Manage i can see the drive but it says "unknown" and 401.18gb. The drive is only 40gigs....Also, under manage there is a little image on top of the drive showing that there is something wrong...no clue what's up! i checked my jumpers and they were ok, in bios it detects the drive but gives it some weird name with a bunch of = signs and such. Can anyone chime in with some help? :x: thanks!

2. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

you may want to set the jumpers to cable select and see if that helps, instead of setting one as the master and the other as the slave...

so this drive was working ok previously? what file system did you select when you formatted? for that matter what program did you use to format? just trying to go through the basics

3. Toolex

Toolex OT Supporter

formated using windows....NTFS....

4. Toolex

Toolex OT Supporter

and yes, it worked fine previously. Windows sees the drive as 401gb.....its only a 40gig drive...something is up...and in bios the drive doesnt say maxtor, rather some weird jibberish

5. Toolex

Toolex OT Supporter