Need Help. XM install

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Essence, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Essence

Essence New Member

Alright So I have never put on one of the kits where you have the external screen for the radio stations (mine have always been pre programmed cd players). So I have all the wires ran, but the power supply has a cigarette plug on the end of it, well when I went to cut that off and splice it into the back of the cigarette lighter plug like I would normally do for a japanese car (the car I'm putting this is is a subaru outback) it kept telling me to check cradle power. The side of the cradle says that it is required 5v and since I'm coming from the cigarette lighter I should be getting 12v. Which i suppose this is over powering it and it keeps shutting it off. Does anyone have a solution to this? I threw the cigarette plug adapter away(actually my girlfriend did because I told her we probably wouldn't want that hanging out).

Any suggestions as what to do here. I don't have a multimeter, so i'm kinda stuck here and i don't really like the idea of wiring in a second cigarette plug and putting it behind the consol, thats just kinda ghetto, but whatever it takes.

THANKS

2. Essence

Essence New Member

/cliffs need to find a 5 volt source for the cradle in a subaru.

3. High Voltage

High Voltage Guest

not reading all that but by cliffs i will tell you to build a voltage divider circuit

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

you might have to hard wire the cig plug. crack it open and connect 12v to the prongs that connect to the lighter outlet

5. mcginnis88

mcginnis88 New Member

Go to Radio Shack and tell them you need a resistor to drop voltage from 12v to 5v and just put it inline with the power + side. Should cost like 50 cents

6. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

LOL nooberts

get a cig adapter (female side)...wire THAT to your cig lighter, then plug your xm into that.

easy, simple, cant do wrong.

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

thatll work too

8. Essence

Essence New Member

read penga.. my girlfriend threw that part(the male side) away and i said that way was a little too ghetto to have another plug behind there. besides if i did do that i would have to route it down beside the shifter, plus having to go by another male and another female side. the 50 cent solution seems a better idea to me.

9. Essence

Essence New Member

this is what i was thinking of, but just wanted a little input from others before i went over to radio shack.

10. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

you have to route the wire reguardless
    You can take yours apart and do it as said above with NO resistor.
    Heres your problem with using a resistor, the VOLTAGE may be correct, but the AMPERAGE might not. Seen it many times.

11. Essence

Essence New Member

So what would be the best way to do this. I went into radioshack, asking the guy about a resistor and he knew nothing. just need to go from 12v to 5v