Need Help, Would DACP be strong enough?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by lobstradomus, Oct 12, 2004.

1. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

So I basically inherited a car, and am looking to clean up the paint some. Problem is the previous owner tried to wax it with a dirty shop towel and scratched the living hell out of it (first pic). Even worse is the engine lid, I dont know what happened to it, but I can not get the spots out (second and third pics), I think they may be in the paint:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far I have tried a vinegar/water wash, clay bar, Meguiars 3 step, a medium polishing compound, and a buffing compound but none of that seems to get the spots out. I am wondering if DACP would help, or if I need to wetsand it. I'm cautious about wetsanding it since I can't feel the spots on the paint. I would really appreciate any advice.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Try DACP with a cutting pad (if you have a PC). It will probably mar the finish a bit, but you can go back over it with DACP or #80 and a polishing pad to remove the marring.

Hard to say if that will work for sure though, some hard water etching goes into the clear coat.

3. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Thanks, would it be possible to use the DACP by hand alone, or would the PC make enough of a difference for me to buy it?

4. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

It's worth it in the long run to buy a PC. The effort needed to effectively work the DACP by hand would drive you crazy and besides, you most likely won't get the same results as you would using a buffer.

5. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Alright, looks like I'm buying a PC, thanks.

6. SilverLexus

SilverLexus Guest

What brand of car is that? Do you have more pics?

7. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

It's a 93 Toyota MR2, and I dont have any pics yet, but I will try to get some soon, especially after I get it cleaned up some more.

8. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

So here are the steps I'm looking at taking, what do you guys think?

First I would use DACP on a cutting pad, then a second time with a polishing pad. Then use Klasse AIO with a polishing pad, then SG with a terry cloth. Then on top of that Meguiars #16 with a terry cloth, and perhaps a coat of S100 or NXT.

I still have a few questions though. Should I use multiple coats of anything (particularly the SG)? Are there products that need extra time before moving on to the next step? I remember hearing something about waiting at least 24 hours after using SG to do anything else so that it has time to bond with the AIO is this true? Thanks in advance, you guys have been a big help so far.

9. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Yes, you need to wait on SG 24 hours for multiple coats. If you are going to top it with a carnuba, wait a week.

10. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Without seeing the car in person, no way for any of us to know exactly what polishing steps you should take. Start off with DACP and a polishing pad though, only go up to the cutting pad if needed. You may need to use an intermediate level polish after DACP because on some paint, even with a polishing pad, it will leave some marring. #80 Speed Glaze is a great choice for that step. AIO is not abrasive so it won't remove marring so use that after DACP and #80. Apply SG with a foam hand pad, not a terry cloth towel. Apply a fender at a time and remove immediately. SG is pretty fool proof when you apply and remove it like that. Wait 24 hours, even better, a full week before applying a second layer. Wait a full week before topping SG, let it completely cure. Then top with #16, again using a foam pad; applying to a section or two at a time and removing. Trust me, you let #16 sit for a while and it is tough to get off. I wouldn't bother with another topper, S100 won't make enough of a diffence to bother and NXT has light cleaners that will remove #16 and maybe some of the SG.

Take your time on the polishing steps because good prep is the foundation for an excellent finish.

11. 1JZGTE

1JZGTE New Member

you lucky motherfucker.......
    you got a 93 mr2 for free
    u better take care of that shit

12. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

You better believe I'm going to, this car is my baby now hence the detailing questions. And Scottwax if you are ever back in SoCal let me know I would be glad to buy you a drink for all of your advice here.