Need help with wieght loss

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by NiceGuy07, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceGuy07

NiceGuy07 New Member

I know you guys are going to say read the archives and i have i just need some clarification on some stuff. Im 6'0" 229 pounds and i wanna get down to around 180-185. i have bought all the right foods to eat that i learned from the archives and am trying to follow a very clean diet. i just wanna know when i go to the gym how much i have to work out. some times i work out like a mile on the treadmill and 15 mins on the oliptical. but sometimes i stay on the treadmill for like an hour and an hour on the oliptical whats a good amount of time to lose the weight i have. is too much like 2-3 hours of running walking bad or good. also im not 100percent sure on how to find my maintenance level. im 229 pounds i my work involves some lifting and moderate amount of walking. when i use those bmi things the numbers are sometimes like 300-400 calories difference which throws me off. i would really appreciate some help and thanks in advance.

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

im not an expert but from what I've read diet is the key to losing weight... how you work out won't really make you lose weight much faster (except burnign more calories, but you could do the same by eating less), but it does effect the type of weight you lose.

Running for 2-3 hours might make you go catabolic and start burning muscle. Seems like a lot of the guys who are losing weight successfully are doing a few days a week of weight training (to preserve their muscle and not burn that off instead of fat), light cardio a few days a week for like an hour (walking, eliptical, etc), and harder cardio a few days per week, sometimes High Intensity Inverval Training (HIIT) which has been proven to help with fat loss specifically.

If you really want to look good when you lose the weight, you need to weight train.

3. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

its 99% diet but phys activity helps a lot obviously.

just watch what you eat, avoid fats and carbs. and dont eat anything with highfructose corn syrup / high amt of sugars.

4. UnleashTheBeast

UnleashTheBeast rawR OT Supporter

i went from 228 to 175 in a little less than a year. DIET DIET DIET.... calories in < calories out = weight loss, but eat CLEAN calories. follow the diet in the stickies but adjust calories. an hour of cardio a day is sufficient.

5. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

Keep researching and keep building your plan with this in mind:

"Don't sacrifice an ounce of muscle"

Muscle is the most efficient fat burner and at the same time makes you look better. I'm pretty sure what you look like is more important to you than what you weigh. Make sure you don't over-train, over-cardio, or eat too little. Those are muscle killers.

edit: i've seen great transformations done with just 45 minutes of exercise (either cardio or weightlifting). If you are going to do both in a day, you can separate them by 8hrs so your body has time to recover. This should avoid catabolism.

6. NiceGuy07

NiceGuy07 New Member

i forgot to mention i am doing weight lifting also after reading the archives i work out my muscles 4 days a week and run those days also. i have a routine set up on a 4 day split. so thats how i am building muscle also but i wanna lose the fat so the muscle will start showing. i am benching about 165 now incline about 115 and curl about 70 pounds. but im working on it .

7. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

LOL!! He just started and he already out-benches Lancer!! :rofl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.