need help with video files (new thread)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by gui3, Mar 15, 2006.

1. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

i paired a bluetooth headset with my macbook to use with ichat, and then whenever i tried to play a video file (in quicktime, WMP, VLC, etc) it would say "bluetooth audio error" or just play the audio through the bluetooth headset if it was connected.

first i checked all the settings that i could find, and made sure everything was set to play audio through the speakers. this didnt help.

then i deleted the bluetooth headset completely....and isntalled VLC for OS X...and had the following results:

(1) many of the video files i have will play in VLC, even despite some error messages.
    (2) no video i have will play in quicktime or windows Media Player, even WMVs. quicktime plays video on some files but no audio.
    (3) when i go to sites like yourtube.com and google video that have embedded players, video plays but the audio is set to MUTE on...and when i turn the sound on nothing happens. the video, however, plays fine.
    (4) two mp4 files that i have (ripped DVD's) play perfectly in quicktime, (these always worked fine)

despite all this, i have never had a problem with playing video in itunes...all the videos ive downloaded through itunes (including video podcasts)

i want to be able to play all my video files, including divx-encoded movies

what do i do? i have no idea how to troubleshoot past this point :)

2. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

system prefrences, sound. Make sure input and output are set correctly.

3. gui3

they are...both set correctly. with the BT headset deleted, input is set to internal mic and output to inernal speakers.

4. gui3

ok i just reset my PRAM and PMU with no improvement. wtf.