Need help with troubleshooting an amp install...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cmsurfer, Nov 7, 2005.

1. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

1996 Jeep Cherokee, BTW.

I put an amp and a box in my Cherokee this weekend. I bought an amp install kit to make sure I had everything I needed.

To make a long story short, it wont work... The amp was an old one that I used in my old Cherokee about 5 years back. My brother-in-law also had it in one of his Jeeps a year or two back, so I'm positive it still works.

I hook everything up and the new speakers (box) wont come on. If I jiggle the RCA connection on the amp side, the speakers will come on for a second, then go off. The amp is definitely getting power and correctly shuts off when the radio is turned off.

I tried switching channels on the amp and had the same issue, but I couldn't get them to come on. I tried a second amp that I had laying around and had the same issue, no sound from the box.

I double and triple checked my wire connections. I even tried 2 or 3 sets of RCA cables and nothing...

I'm having trouble believing that I have 2 bad amps...

The only think that I can think of is that I had to run the REM wire and RCA cables next to each other because that was the only way I saw to be able to route them to the amp. Could that be an issue?

Just for kicks, I crossed the channels, red RCA on one channel and white RCA on the other. The speakers came on, but would cut in and out every couple of seconds.

Any ideas here?

I don't believe it's rocket science just runnning a few wires here and there...

2. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

sounds to me like a bad ground. Or your speakers are wired REALLY wrong, and too low of an OHM load is clipping the amp.

running the remote near the RCA's isn't a problem. most amp install kits have the remote wire molded to the RCA's.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Correct me if I am wrong, but if the ground is bad, the amp would cut on and off, right? Or no?

Right now, the ground is attached to a metal bracket that is under the rear seat. There was a hole there and I just put a bolt through it with the ground wire attached to a round connector.

Now that I think of it, the bracket I attached it to is painted. I'll relocate it to a different location and try again.

I thought since the amp had power that everything was ok.

I did hear the speakers work for a few seconds, so I'm sure the wires there are right.

Thanks, I'll post up how it goes.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yup, the ground was the problem...

Now I have a lot of static/interference when the engine is running.

I'll have to take a look at that tonight.

Thanks,

5. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

did you run the power wire across the top of the engine, or near any coil/plug wires?

Glad to help with the other problem... ;) The way grounds work... Sure its grounded "enough" to turn the amp on... but it wasn't enough to actually pass alot of current through.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I zip tied the power wires along the engine bay to the middle of the firewall where I drilled a hole to get it into the Jeep. the power wire enters the Jeep just below the A/C condensor. It should be far enough away from the coil/plugs.

I was only able to hand tighten the bolt that holds the ground, so I'll have to crank it down with a wrench tonight to see if it helps more.

7. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

that can be doing it too.

What about your RCA's? Did you run them down the side? or down the middle? Does it do it sitting still? Or only driving?

Did you run the RCA's down the opposite side as the power wire? Power wires should never be run near the RCA's.

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

The power is run in from the passenger side of the Jeep. The RCA's and remote wire are run from the head unit in the center of the Jeep to the back seat.

I tightened up the ground and still the same.

Everything is fine when the Jeep is turned off, but the staic and whine only happen when the Jeep is running and it gets louder and more high pitched when driving.

I was searching through another thread and somone mentioned using a ground loop isolator. What is that and would it help?

When I get a chance, I'll see if I can re-route the power wire since that is the only other thing I can think of.

9. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

check all your connectors, ring terminals, spades everything make sure none of them are corroded, especially the one on the battery terminal, make sure you even check the connection points on the fuse holder

10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Will do... All of the wiring is new since I only bought the amp install kit last week. I'm thinking either still not grounding it to a good spot or the power to the battery is too close to something near the engine.

11. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

move your RCA's to the left side. You might be picking up noise from the transmission / drivetrain..

12. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Thanks, I'll give that a try too...