need help with this virus/trojan

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dpakman91, Oct 19, 2004.

1. dpakman91

dpakman91 New Member

ok, i have the virus/trojan/something where msconfig, regedit, and the task manager come up for a second and then close automatically/dissappear.

i've done a search on google, and there is some information about it, but can't find anything about how to get RID of it. can anyone help me out, or more likely link me to a reliable article with a fix?

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

You just need to run a good antivirus program, preferably in safe mode. What antivirus program are you running? See if you can download an update on a clean machine and copy it to the infected machine in safe mode, then do a full scan. I know Norton can do this as can EZ Antivirus. Your CD and floppy drive will work just fine in safe mode. Or you can pull the disk out and temporarily connect it to a working, and properly virus protected machine, and scan the disk that way.

3. dpakman91

dpakman91 New Member

i did JUST recently (3 days ago) get norton antivirus 2005, and ran a full scan, NOT in safe mode, and it's still going on.

are you suggesting i do the same scan, just in safe mode, or actually making some kind of boot disk to start up with? if the latter, if you could explain in a little more detail that would be cool.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Find the msconfig.exe file. Copy it to your desktop. Make sure you have windows set to show the file extension. Rename the file from a .exe to a .com
    You can then run the file and remove the offending programs from starting up. Hopefully it's a newer virus, meaning you can use the mcafee stinger to fix the problem. It's available here. http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ It will remove 45 of the most common viruses out there.

5. dpakman91

dpakman91 New Member

ok i got stinger, and it found 1 virus, netstatt.exe. is that the same virus that was causing the problems for me?

good program, btw.

6. Supreme Allah

Supreme Allah The terrorists won.

get bazooka scanner from downloads.com

IF it detects it, it will give you instructions on removal and helpful links

its worth a try since the scanner itself literally takes about 2 seconds to do the scan.

i got rid of the peper trojan w. this after all else failed