SRS need help with this situation with this dude from Chemistry lab.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by pandemonium, Mar 21, 2006.

1. pandemonium

pandemonium New Member

I am new to this school and was trying to make friends with everyone in my classes.

I befriended this one dude, who seemed cool, but now I find out this dude has no friends and is trying to make me his new best friend. Annoyingly, he makes room for me to sit next to him before each lecture and tries to hang out with me after each lecture and before each lab.

I wouldn't mind hanging out the guy, but he is like a leech for my school work. He tries to copy everything I write in lab, asks me all these questions like i'm some sort of personal tutor and tries to study for exams with me. I wouldn't mind doing all that, provided that he helps me in return when needed, but I highly doubt I will ever need his help, as he is not that bright and on top of that he is a slacker.

Anyway, I am trying to be a dick to the guy so he won't ask me any more chemistry questions or try to hang out with me after lecture. He cock blocked me a couple of times already from these girls i'm interested in after lecture and it is very irritating.

Everytime he asks me something I tell him I don't know, or, why don't you look it up on google. Its gotten to a point where I want to avoid him, but he always leaves a seat next to him in class and it is generally like the only one available so I have to sit there or he yells out, "why don't you sit here?" infront of everyone and I don't want to seem like a dick to my other classmates.

I am being cold to him and won't help him out, but he won't get a clue. I have never encountered this type of ish from another guy before.

So, what do you suggest I do to end this "friendship". Is confrontation my only viable alternative? If so, what do I say to the guy, without making it uber uncomfortable after the confrontation? His lab table is directly infront of mine so I can't really avoid him during lab. This is really really annoying. I am hoping there is a reasonable solution to all this. I hate my chemistry class because of this dude.

2. darnit

darnit New Member

Go out to lunch with him and tell him what you just wrote.. be honest with tact.

3. J

J Active Member

DON'T be a dick about it.

talk to him and be reasonable. however, he obviously values your friendship very much, so he'd be very sensitive to anything you had to say about the relationship between you and him.

4. Create

Create :free at last:

90% of the situations presented in this forum involve people who havn't tried tactful communication.

Try communicating nicely first. If it doesn't work, try again. After that be selfish and tell him without consideration for his feelings. Everyone has their breaking point where they stop considering others. All I can say is that the breaking point should not be at zero attempts.

5. teo

teo . => ? => !

The seating problem should be a relatively easy solution: arrive to class earlier and in the company of other people. Don't leave him room to sit with you. If your class is in a lecture theatre, sit up front with the rest of the bright people and let him slack in the back.

I agree with Create's suggestion to try communicating your displeasure about the situation several times before throwing in the towel. Keep it simple - leave out the cockblocking bit and focus on the essentials: you don't tutor for free and your homework is not available for copying, and you're resentful that you're being forced to do both. It's possible that he doesn't realize he's being an ass, so give him the benefit of the doubt. :hs:

6. EmiB

EmiB New Member

How about steering him in the right direction... sounds like poor guy has low self esteem, and pretty desperate for a friend.

7. tell him you love him

8. Indrew

Indrew New Member

You forgot 'would' 'for' and 'to die'

9. bitetobreakskinn

bitetobreakskinn Blinky the Christmas Ghost

It's a combination of the two (in my opinion).

If the kid is THAT desperate for some attention, he probably has some personal issues he's dealing with. If he's been a friend to you when you had no one else at first, at least give him the benefit of the doubt/situation, and find out something about him before you just write him off. Help the kid out, the feeling of that is something great.

10. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter