SRS Need help with situation, girlfriend leaving

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Potato2, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Potato2

Potato2 Money and the power

So my girlfriend is leaving tomorrow for a week to go to a class in a different state. We were supposed to spend tonight together but she had a family dinner which she was supposed to come home from early. Finally at 10:00 (dinner started at 6:30) she sends me a text that says "ok i guess ill see you next week" and I call her. For some reason she thought I'd know when she got out from the dinner (she got out at 8, didn't call me or anything) and started crying and saying she made a mistake out of our relationship because I obviously don't care enough for her. We've been dating for 5 months now, and she just told me she wants to go on a break. I'm kind of in shock right now and don't really know what just happened, and at a major loss of words. I have no idea on how to respond. What should I do?

Cliffs: It's not that long just read it.

2. Takitome

Takitome New Member

How old are you two?

What's your relationship like?

3. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

Hate to tell you this, but she just unofficially broke up with you. She blew off plans with you, then said she wanted a break.

"I want a break" almost always means "I want to go see who else is out there, pursue other people, probably sleep with other people....but if it doesn't work out, if I can't get with who I want to be with, I will come back to you so I am not alone. You are my safety net/security blanket."

To me, breaks are relationship enders. My standard is this: She either commits to you, or she doesn't. No one deserves to be second in line, or used as a fall back.

Move on.

4. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

wait til next and then see where you stand or i guess you could just end it me personaly id wait a week but i do both sides (sigh) just wait til she comes back and see

5. Potato2

Potato2 Money and the power

Thanks for the suggestions guys, and for the person who asked we're both 17 and have a great relationship. Just an update though: we talked late last night and decided a break would be stupid. We're still together

6. Kentdawg

Kentdawg Ohh aww it's good for your hair

Usually when girls make up some random reason to break up is because something fishy is going on.

7. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

She's playing games with you I'd break it off permanently

8. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

Whenever a girl is going away and she wants to take a "break", it is pretty much an excuse to hookup with other guys and not feel guilty about it.

9. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I hate to break it to you, but the relationship is pretty much over. Yes, you say you have a "great" relationship, but unfortunately that is not ture. She has a whole different story going on in her head of what you guys are and should be. So the fact that she made up bullshit so she could break-up with you guilt free (also using the "we just need a break" comment) is so highschool and all too familiar. In the end you might stay together for a while, few weeks, maybe a few more months; but sadly you are young and the relationship doesn't sound very stable at all. I guess enjoy it while it lasts.