MIL Need help with shining boots

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Gundam, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Gundam

Gundam Tell Drama he's on my to do list, right after inse

Although I'm not in military, I was hoping some of you guys can help me out. I've been shining a set of boots for eventual use at my police academy. Right now we're wearing corfram low quarter shoes, but once we start hitting the range, we gotta have our boots ready.

The problem is that I can't get my boots to look like glass. I've literally spent over 8 hours on these damn things and they simply do not look good. I decided to strip off all the polish and start fresh. What do you guys recommend for a great shine? The method that I was using was:

1. Put polish on old t-shirt, rub onto the boot in small circular motions until it feels rough and dry.

2. Take a clean rag, dip it in a little bit of water, and rub it on the same area.

3. Repeat.

Either I'm doing it wrong, or the method just isn't that good. I appreciate any help.

2. ustfdes

ustfdes LPC ID: 20394

:iough:

go back to basic? :noes:

just kidding, cant really help ya though, i've lost the technique. Deserts FTW, no shine since basic, 3.5 years ago, lol.

edit: forget the basic comment.....i TOTALLY missed that first statement. sorry guy. ;X

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  3. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I put on my first coat with the basic black polish. Make sure you use plenty of water. The 2nd coat of polish I use Parade Gloss.

If you don't use enough water you'll eventually just rub whatever polish you put on. The first shine is the hardest, but once you get one it shouldn't come off unless you forget to maintain it.

4. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

use a cotton ball instead of a t shirt piece. the difference is amazing.

another thing that I'd recommend is to lay down a coat of really thick polish and just leave it on for 30-45 minutes. brush it off and then repeat the process. It helps to fill in all the imperfections in the surface. If your boots are a rough grain then it's going to require an assload of polish. patent leather is way easier to shine than the leather my boots have.

this is what I do:

1. swirl cotton ball in polish
    2. dip in water
    3. swirl it around the boot covering the toe or heel
    4. continue swirling until it starts to brighten(start with big circles and go smaller as it brightens. keep the polish wet and make sure the entire section is covered when you are making your circles)
    5. if you don't have water drops on the boots you need to add more water
    6. eventually it'll stop getting brighter and at that point you should blow all the excess water off so it doesn't leave any spots
    7. apply more coats until the desired level of gloss is reached

I personally don't like parade gloss. standard black kiwi does the job for me. It takes a LOT of polish to get a set of boots to look good, way more polish than low quarters.

My boots got pretty well trashed when I was completing the pledge process for Pershing Rifles. If your boots get a layer of crap on them(dust, sand, generally things that you don't want to rub into your boots) you have to brush the shit out of them to get all of the junk off. I tried to just buff them with a watered cloth and they looked like hell until I brushed them down to pretty much nothing.

5. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

water is the key

6. ustfdes

ustfdes LPC ID: 20394

+1 to using parade gloss to finish
    +1 to using plenty of water
    +1 to using a cotton ball as well

i am slowly remembering tips and tricks to shining teh boots, but although i am glad i dont have to do it anymore, i seem to miss it a little as well......seems like one more thing is gone that we used to take pride in as military personnel (or something) ;x

also keep in mind, that in a basic training environment (and academy as well), nothing you ever do is going to be right....so you can shine for hours and hours and it will still look like crap to the instructors.

i will be in either CBP (FLETC) or the CHP academy soon, if things go as planned. i'm not really looking forward to another round of people yelling at me for stupid reasons, but oh well ;x

7. water and the pressure you use to apply it is the key.

I rub kind of hard in circular motions with a t-shirt when I put the initial coat on. Then I dip the shirt in water and dab a bit of black on there and lightly do circular motions all over. It's easier to be shown how to do it.

8. jung918

jung918 Member

I never got the hang of cotton balls.

I uses a cotton t shirt. I would wrap it around my index and middle finger and then wrap the rest around my wrist. You have to make sure the part that is on your index and middle finger is firm.

Then I would just use little polish and water. Go in a circular motion using liberal amounts of water.

9. Bass

Bass New Member

Cotton balls are key, just like everybody else has said. I haven't polished boots in a while though, I'm lucky enough to wear the green boots the Air Force is so proud of.

Make sure not to get too much polish on the cotton ball, thats a good tip I used to give the idiots in basic. Our MTI was a hardass for having the nicest boots in the squadron, and when somebody threw globs and globs of polish on their boots, it just wouldnt shine.

Just keep adding to it, sit down every night for a few minutes, and throw a few coats on. My current supervisor still wears his BDU's, and has 76 coats of polish on his boots. BY FAR the best boots I have ever seen.

10. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

leatherluster :mamoru:

11. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

. I have not shined boots in a WHILE. Not to say I can't get down with some shoe polish but a few good coats of leather luster every few months, done right, of course, are much better than polish. I still get compliments and they look TERRIBLE right now.:coolugh:

12. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

it shines, it just takes a lot longer than a light coat to start to gloss. about 5 minutes or more of constant rubbing and water. and in a training environment when you don't have 5 minutes to spend on a section of footwear a light coat is all you should shoot for.

cadet airmen aren't allowed to use leather luster. something about an integrity violation...

76 coats eh. I'm around 5% of that after removing a lot of my prior coats.

13. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

i have gortex browns. i don't know.

14. c.a

c.a New Member

after you spread the polish a bit take a lighter and melt it a bit then rub it in more. little trick i picked up way back at medina and haven't used since, but it worked there.

15. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Someone I knew used a heat gun on my boots, and it came out pretty well. I tried to do it on my own and ended up burning my boots.

16. Figori

Figori Taking BRC to the EXTREME. OT Supporter

Less is more. That is the key. The biggest problem people have is slapping way too much polish on the boot. Just use enough to get it shining and make sure you polish it all in, until you can't see the swirl marks. Rinse and repeat (don't rinse... It's a metaphore).