Need help with routine

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by n99nyrwg, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

I'm 155lbs and 5'10". I am decently muscular (for that weight atleast) but I'd obviously like to have more muscle. I think I'd like to be around 185lbs.

I know one way to do this is to bulk. However I don't want to gain all that extra fat. I play hockey, among other things, and I'd like to stay in pretty good shape. I would prefer to retain my endurance as well.

So do any of you have any tips that I could follow? For diet I was thinking of following the Basic Newb Guide to Fat loss diet, but just up the protein some (although I don't know how much would be necessary).

I was thinking of doing some HIT as that would save me a lot of time and be a great workout. Anybody have any recommendations as to how often I should do that (twice a week?) and when I should fit cardio in there?

I realize that what I'm asking for is the best of both worlds, gaining muscle without the fat, and I realize my gains won't be as great as if I went through a bulking stage. But I really don't want to gain that extra fat.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

bulking =! putting on lots of fat.

do some research.

3. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

Well then why does everybody go through a bulking stage and then a cutting stage? If they didn't put on a bunch of fat they wouldn't need the cutting stage would they?

I'm not questioning you, that's just how I understood it. So if I'm wrong please correct me.

Everybody I know in person who went through a bulking stage also gained a considerable amount of fat.

What I want is to not have to go through a cutting stage at the end because I never gained that fat.

Ok, here is my main question. How can I bulk but still do cardio? How should I combine the two?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  4. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Your making the common misconception of clean bulking. Bulking with calorie dense foods, high fat/protein/carb is the best and fastest way to gain weight/muscle mass. It is easier for most people to bulk/cut than to eat clean and still acheive the same gains. You are obviously a ectomorph with a fast metabolism, the last type of body that has to worry about bulking and getting to fat. And i would stay away from cardio while bulking, think about it, the point is to eat and conserve as many calories as possible, so why would you do cardio and do the complete opposite?

5. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

Yeah, that's what I've been told in the past. But then how can I retain my endurance for sports? Or is it just not possible, I have to choose one or the other?

Thanks for the help btw. I was making the common misconception.

6. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Ya its kinda hard to play an endurance sport and bulk up. I wrestled last year and kept my calories pretty high, but still found it hard to keep my weight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.