Need help with router problems.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Finch, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Finch

Finch Guest

i have a Gigafast EE400-R and i can't seem to figure out how to open port(s)so that i can use the Remote Desktop Connection for xp pro. What port(s) is/are needed to make this work? Are all routers the same when you go through and open ports, are they different? Is there anyone that could help me out.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2004
  2. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

Apr 22, 2001
    well you gotta connect to the router's config page, mine's and most I haer of are or something along those lines...and then you can foward the ports there...ports:

Q. What port does Remote Desktop use? Does everything go over port 3389?

Port 3389 is the only port you need to open. Sound will attempt to be streamed through User Datagram Protocol (UDP) first. If no port is available for UDP, sound will stream through a virtual channel in Remote Desktop Protocol, which uses port 3389.
  3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Jun 6, 2003
    Yep, the standard address for the router is usually with the username blank and 'admin' for the password. If it is set this way, do yourself a favor and change the password.

Anyway, now that you know the port needed, you have to go to the config page on the router that deals with forwarding. If you have it, look in the manual how to enable and setup port forwarding. All you need to do is type in the port number, it's type (TCP/UDP) and type in an IP address for it to forward to. So, when an a something attempts to to connect through the specified port, the request will be forwarded to the IP address you specified.