need help with router/connection

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Exile10901, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Exile10901

Exile10901 Join the OTA today! OT Supporter

well, i finally decided to get a router for our network instead of dasiy chaning bnc cables through 3 computers. so far it hasnt imporved anything. the first router we tried was pretty bad, everything worked, but only occasionally. that wasnt really acceptable, so i went out and got a linksys BEFSR41. everyone says thats its one of the best routers and it seemed to be working. well, yesterday we got a major speed hit, i used to be getting a 90kB download (yes, i know thats pretty slow, but it should double soon), now im getting around a 20kB download. the other 2 computers are getting really horrid speeds as well. also, we keep getting cd's and i have to reset the modem to get our connection. i did everything that the manual said to hook it up, so im not really sure why its not working....

anyone got any ideas?

2. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

upgrade to latest firmware version?

I know with my wired linksys router, I had to powercycle it every few days when I first got it, but now it's working fine...*crosses fingers*

3. Exile10901

upgrading to the latest firmware sped it up a bit, but its still nowhere near what i should be getting :wtc:

4. alreadyDEAD

alreadyDEAD New Member

Make sure that it is not overheating. Heat can cause more problems than many can ever realize. Also make sure that your ISP is not having problems with their systems.

5. Exile10901

definattly not overheating, but im going to call verizon in the morning and see whats up...they have been pretty good, despite the slow speed (slow meaning the 768k max, but since we have been with them for about 3 years they are giving us a free speed upgrade to 1500k), but im not sure whats up now.

6. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Make sure your regestry is tweaked to max settings

What are you using for a speed test?

7. Exile10901

i think its a combo of the router messing stuff up and my isp severely reducing bandwith. i hooked up my comp up directly to the dsl modem, went to www.dslreports.com/speedtest, got 700k down. aperently they havent given us our speed upgrade yet...so i guess 700k is fine. started up kazaa and started downloading something, went and tested my connection again. 400k....hmm, thats not a good thing... fire up bittorent and resumed 2 downloads. went back to test...100k...ack...

im in the process of trying to convince my parents that cable is a good idea, but they are very stuborn and never listen to me anyways...

edit:

fixed link

Last edited: Feb 9, 2004
  8. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

run the tweak test at dslreports