need help with reformatting

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by metalfan111, Aug 4, 2006.

1. metalfan111

metalfan111 Guest

OK, I had a 200GB HDD and was trying to reformat it. The largest I could make the partition was 131GB because my Windows XP CD does not have service pack 1, so it cannot support any drive bigger. I called Dell and told them the situtation. He said just install it on the 131GB parition and after its reformated and SP2 is installed, I can add the rest of the unallocated space to the existing partition. Now how do I add the rest of it to the partition? He said I could do it with a program Windows comes with.

2. metalfan111

metalfan111 Guest

3. Schproda

Schproda New Member

I always install the OS and programs on one partition then data on another. It makes life a lot easier when needing to back up or reload a system.

4. metalfan111

metalfan111 Guest

That doesn't answer my question.

5. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Right click on My computer -> click on Manage
    Go to Disk Management...
    You should see the hard drive there, with a big section of unallocated space. Right click on the blank space, and create a new partition -> quick format as NTFS, and you should be good to go.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Put the hard drive into a computer that DOES have SP1 or SP2, partition it and format it there, and then put it back in your computer and install Windows XP.

7. Schproda

Schproda New Member

I gave you a solution.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You still didn't answer his question though. I'm going to assume that he asked the question the way he did because he already knew what he wanted to do; he was asking how to do it.