Need help with programming stuff for a TI-89...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by niquesuave06, Mar 19, 2010.

1. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I'm needing to figure out how the hell I can program some functional, fairly basic programs for my TI-89 but I have no idea where to start. I know a bit of programming, but they've been fairly "isolated" courses in the sense that they were both in a version of VB (the version I used was in like 2002, I think it was pre .net? and VBA in Office 2007, currently taking a class on it that's oriented toward my engineering degree). I'm not trying to claim that I'm a good programmer, but I've excelled in both courses so at least I have some idea of whats going on.

I don't even know the first place to start on a pursuit like this. Could any of you possibly enlighten me?

If someone here knows what they're doing and wants to help, I'd probably be willing to compensate you. Just send a pm and we'll talk.

And for the record, these programs are going to be used legitimately to store data in my calculator for a couple of my senior engineering classes. Most of my professors still deem any kind of paper notes during an exam as cheating, but a lot of them have begun allowing whatever we choose and are able to put into our calculator. I think they've realized they can't stop it, so they just gave in :mamoru:

Thanks for any assistance :wavey:

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

It's a custom form of the basic language, your first step should be to find the instruction set reference.

3. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

Would the instruction set reference be something found in the user manual that came with the calc, or will I need to look elsewhere for that? :hsd: sorry for my ignorance, most of the material I've needed thus far has basically been handed to me.

4. thekraft

thekraft New Member

iirc, it's in the manual, but I don't know if it's all inclusive.

5. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Yeah I can't remember either, I wrote some games for the TI83 about a decade ago but haven't done anything with it since.

6. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I appreciate the info guys, I'll find my manual and take a look there to start with :wavey:

7. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

check out the ti-89 web site. Lots of good stuff there.

8. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I dunno if this would help any, but if you need some examples, I have some here for the 89:

http://www.rsbauer.com/topics/ti/ti89

It has been a while since I last wrote a program for the 89. I've got the source code posted up there so you are welcome to check that out.

Oh, since it is an 89, you know you can store text files in it, right? I would stick calc notes in it in case I had forgotten them on the example (weird, never really used them much). The process for getting the notes into the calculator is not straight forward from what I remember. If you are interested, let me know and I can see if I still have the notes in there and how I did it.

Edit: Usually stuff for the TI-85 works on the 89. I've got a number of 85 apps: http://www.rsbauer.com/topics/ti/ti85

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  9. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

Thanks for all of this info! I haven't had much time to check it out yet because I have several exams this week, but I'm hoping to make some progress on it this weekend.

I've stored text files in it before, and I definitely agree that transferring the text files onto the calculator can be tricky. I was only able to transfer text files with specific names that were already stored on the calculator. It depended on which folder I stored them in (contacts, main, etc) but it seems like I could only have text files named like "Trip", "Untitled", and "Report". Attempting to use any other file names that were more appropriate for their content would prevent the transfer :dunno:

The main reason I'm wanting to be able to code some basic programs is because of the font size/formatting. I'd like to store some fairly large equations I use on a regular basis, but they all have so many variables (and subscripts) that they end up being like 3 lines long. It makes them so illegible that they're nearly useless.

I have a program called "Differential Equations Made Easy" that I purchased awhile back, and it displays text, examples, formulas, etc, in a very easy to read/follow format. It's a very complex program in the sense that it solves, step-by-step, all different types of diff eq's (homogenous, nonhomogenous, Laplace, etc). Although I would love to have the knowledge and ability to write similar programs, I realize my limitations and my goal is just to write some programs that give me easy access to text/symbol based equations. I might take it so far as to include some instructions/examples, but I have no intention of actually trying to get any programs to solve complex equations for me (at least at this point, I'm just going to take this one step at a time :mamoru: ).

I'll read over all the info you guys have posted and let you know how things go :wavey: