Need Help with PHPBB 2

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I just made a forum for my sister and her friends and my sister doesnt like the phpbb link at the top. http://mycophiles.rustika-imports.com and I would like to replace it. Does anyone know how to get this replaced. Also I wanted to know postnuke's size. I would love to use one of thier php scrips but I think they are way too big for my 20megs of alocated space. Im trying to keep the forum as small as I can. I would also like a diff. color on the forum. Im a noob w/ this with just a tiny bit of shell use so this is going to be a little harder for me than for most of you. :)

Any help would be appreciated.

I went to www.phpbb.com and www.phpbbhacks.com and I see some things I'd like to install but I dont know how to do it in shell. doh... anyone know how to do this. uncompress a tar(?) in linex and then delete rn and replace files?

2. SmAssher

SmAssher Umm....Mooo?

Most of the stuff you want to do requires FTP access, not shell access.

I'm assuming that you want to get rid of the logo at the top? Go into the template files, in this case you are using subSilver, and edit the overall_header.tpl file. This file is in HTML so it should be that hard to edit if you know HTML. Simply reupload this and whatever changed will be at the top now.

With 20mb you can use postnuke. It is like 5mb. Post nuke isn't really for forums... Post Nuke is a web content management system that lets you write articles and news on your site without having to change an HTML file and reupload it. Postnuke wrote these scripts so that you don't have to go and write you own. If you want a portal system for your forum (combines your forum and content management system together i.e. - same usernames/passwords and such) then you can find those at phbbhacks. A similar system to postnuke is PHP nuke www.phpnuke.org.
    For an example of a Post Nuke site, go to www.railgun.net Postnuke is used there to add news, articles, new screen shots, etc. whichout having to actually hard code it onto the page.

As for the tar files, you can extract those via the shell, but it is easier to just use WinRAR to extract it on your computer and then use your FTP to upload the extracted files.

3. georgelb

georgelb Guest

if your not comfortable editing your templates you can just rename the image you want displayed to "logo_phpBB.gif" and upload it to "http://mycophiles.rustika-imports.com/templates/subSilver/images/"

that will update it for sure.

4. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

or u can post the template here and im sure one of us can edit it for u :)

5. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

sorry for being an idiot here guys but Im having a problem with the gif I want to replace on the website. I have the gif made and everything but I cant find the templates folder. I though the entire forum had been put int the /var/www folder but its not there so Im kinda lost. Any suggustions??

Also I can post screen shots of the folders that are there... its just the reg. folders like home/www/var etc.etc.

6. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

ok someone make the gif for me cause all mine SUCK NUTS

PLEASE!! :bowdown:

edit: Nevermind I got it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2003