Need help with my sub and amp.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Thayne, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Thayne

Thayne TRANCE/420 Crew

Ok here is the problem. I just recently got a new head unit and I already had a sub and amp, the amp is powering the sub and all of my speakers, I want to know how to just have the amp power the sub, the speakers keep popping and are getting way too much power. I am not really audio savy so please explain were all the wires go and what not. Thanks for the advice in advance. :)

2. johnson

johnson New Member

Dont run anything to your speakers.

3. Thayne

Thayne TRANCE/420 Crew

How do I do that? I don't know much about car audio.

4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Are you sure they are getting too much power? It sounds like they aren't getting enough. If you don't want the external amp to power your regular speakers just disconnect the speaker leads from the amp and run them to your head unit's speaker outputs. The instructions should be in the head unit manual on which leads to hook to which speaker. I'm a little confused on your situation though. Maybe you could tell us exactly where each speaker is connected.

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

sounds like the possibility of a line output convertor already installed in the system. that could explain the "popping" the other speakers are doing. this would be caused by not having the levels of the amp "matched" to the output of the radio, since the new radio will have more speaker output power than the factory deck (not much more, but some). do you have RCA wires connected to the head unit, or are they connected to another "box" so to speak? a little more info is needed to properly evaluate and diagnose your problem. do some investigation of your system, and describe it to us as best as possible, and we'll see if we can't solve the issue.

6. Thayne

Thayne TRANCE/420 Crew

Well I finally figured it out. On Friday after I got off of work I looked at all the connections to my amp and the sub, the regular speakers were connected to the amp, I just amp the amp connected to the sub and it sounds much better, no more popping from the other speakers and I am getting super clean bass from the sub, and the mids and highs sound great from the regular speakers. Thats for all the advice everyone.