SRS need Help with my Girlfriend!!!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by namynam, Jan 5, 2007.

1. namynam

namynam Am I too late for the free 5 oclock crack give awa OT Supporter

My Girlfriend has some deppression issues, she had kind of a fucked up childhood. She's only 20 so I try to tell her it will get better with age. I'm 25 I really want to be there for her not real sure what to do. 80% of the time we are find but sometimes she just gets in these moods. She's been perscribed wellbutrin but she hates taking it I don't know how to get her to take her pills. She says she hates taking all these pills, (Birth controll, pills for low iron, and wellbutrin. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2007
  2. teo

teo . => ? => !

Nothing gets better with age, unless you like wrinkles. Things get better with analysis of the past and following a subsequent plan for the future, a desire to better oneself and oftentimes outside help. She should see a counsellor who's qualified to help her sort through her troubled past.

3. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

She likely suffers from the problem many young adults suffer from, and that's the fact that real life is nothing like they expected, and all their life expectations have not been realized. This can lead to some pretty serious depression.

The only real solution is to get her to accept her life as it is, and instead of lamenting what she doesn't have, working with what she does.

4. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

To provide evidence for my suggestion: I came from a very fucked up childhood. Oftentimes the only way i kept myself going was by holding a vision of my future once i could finally get away in my mind, and focusing on it.

Of course, that future failed to be realized. Largely because my depression issues caused me to sabotage myself, which only made the depression worse, as i saw my only mainstay slip farther and farther from me, leaving me feeling more and more lost and hopeless.

It took me many, many years to learn that I had to accept my life as it was. I came to terms with the possibility that my life would never get any better. That I'd be stuck in the same job for the rest of my life, etc. Ironically, once I came to terms with that, and accepted that 'this is my life', I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off of me. I was able to sleep again, and, now that I was getting rest, I felt like I could do things.

Now, I'm in university, pursuing my degree, and my dream of my future is a real possibility now, with a clearly defined path ahead of me, instead of just a lofty goal.

I'd say the biggest difference is, I'm working towards my goal, but I'm watching where I step, instead of just holding my eyes on my goal and running (and falling)

5. johan

johan Active Member

Who is prescribing wellbutrin for her? Meaning, is this her family doctor prescribing, or is she seeing a genuine therapist, and the meds are part of a program of therapy?

If she isn't in therapy, then she should get into one asap.
    Meds alone will not solve her problems for her.

If she is in therapy, then advise her to report her dissatisfaction with her current situation and progress to her therapist.

Since she's bad enough to need meds, there's really nothing you can do, other than be supportive and encourage her to remain in treatment, and to be open and honest with her therapist.

You can't "fix" her yourself, but you can help her continue on with someone who can.

Good luck.