need help with my computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zimmy76, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Zimmy76

Zimmy76 I like my beer like I like my violence, domestic

I'm horrible when it comes to computers, I know very little about them. If you were to ask me to fix a computer I'd look at you with a blank stare, if you asked me to build a wall for you I could do it. Computers have never been my thing though.

Anyway I have a gateway 550GR; lately it is making a noise like it is trying to process something. It's a constant buzzing/whining noise; it just started this a couple days ago. A couple weeks ago it would make the buzzing noise for about 30 seconds then stop and now has progressed into doing it constantly.

The computer still works fine, and it doesn’t seem to be operating any slower then normal.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. oz02

oz02 New Member

Well, that could be generally anything in the realm of your computer, however its likely thats its got something to do with some loose circuitry in your computer. I really couldn't tell you what the problem is without checking it out myself.

3. Zimmy76

I understand

I let a buddy of mine listen to it (over the phone) and he said maybe the bearing on a fan was going out. :dunno:

4. oz02

oz02 New Member

Oh yah, that could definitely be it as well. Better get someone to look at it, if left uncared for you could get some major circuit problems with your computer, depending on the problem.

5. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

If you can hit the case and the noise stops, its the fan. If not probally hard drive thrashing, and you need to defrag and it might stop. But probally not.

6. Zimmy76

thanks for the advice, I defraged and turned the computer off for several hours. I just turned it back on, and so far so good. :x: