SRS Need Help With My 15 Year Old Son & Weed

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jerseygirl, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl New Member

Hello everyone! :wiggle:

I have a 15 year old son that is really hooked on weed. I want to get him into a rehab but I don't know one for kids that young. He keeps telling me he can stop anytime he wants & I know that it's the addiction saying that.
    In the past month he has been arrested 3 times. 2 times was for possesion. One with pot the other with crack.

I know my son is a good kid deep down. He's just got involved with the wrong people. I guess what I'm looking for are some suggestions & ideas on what I can do with him.

Thanks!

A Victor - Not A Victim
    NiNa

2. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

Warning: This reply has been stripped of all sugar coating.

Your son is a punk and you are an enabler.

Your little angel may be too young for rehab (I'm not so sure) but not for a scared straight program. Court ordered treatment rarely works anyway and only introduces him to new contacts and techniques. Contact law enforcement in your area for help.

Until then, make sure you know EVERYONE he is in contact with. Get their numbers and their parents numbers. Be in his face until he gives you a reason not to. Then, be sneaky about it. You can't afford to be passive in this "phase" he is going through.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Pot is usually a "gateway" drug. In other words, it's a gateway to other more serious/destructive drugs. IMO, you need help and you need it NOW! The OT is NOT the place for this help. I would suggest you find a certified drug and alcohol counselor in your area and go see them, not with your son just you. These people have ICDAC after their names (stand for Internationally Certified Drug and Alcohol Counselor).

The disease of addiction is very difficult for anyone to deal with and you need help. Your son will probably be arrested many more times as he has a pattern for getting in trouble with the law. If you do nothing, nothing will change. You may not be able to save your son but if you seek help, you may be able to understand more about the disease and make some hard choices in your life.

PLEASE SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP!!

4. koolaids

koolaids OH YEAH

Talk to him about it.

5. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

there are rehab/treatment centers for kids that young...maybe you aren't looking hard enough

go see a counselor, I'm sure they'd know of some places

6. Jim Jones

Jim Jones leave a message

I, too am going to make this as clear and sugar-coatless as possible.

What in the hell are you doing? It is your job as a parent to make sure that he does not form these habits while you have control over him. That said, it is purely your fault that this has happened. The best way to get him to stop is to call the cops on his ass and let him sit in jail. If he is going to make grown-up choices about his life like drugs, then he is going to face grown-up consequences.

You should be very disappointed in yourself. You should also know that crack is extremely damaging and also EXTREMELY addictive. Good luck.

7. MR. Marti

MR. Marti New Member

don't be too confrontational with it. Just make him want to fight back. Let him know that it is something that you will be able to work though together and show him the bad roads that this kind of thing leads you down.

best of luck with you son. hope he gets over this.

8. mrscruffles

mrscruffles New Member

make sure to get him in something when i was 15 i was doing the same shit, other then the crack i was doing E and special K instead. i got arrested 4 or 5 times been to jail twice and now i am on intense probation and going to AA regularly dont let your son do the same shit that i did

9. Jim Jones

Jim Jones leave a message

They are all drug problems.

10. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

Good Point, rehab for weed would be absolutely ridiculous... but if your 15 year old son is smoking crack, someone should call Social Services on YOU!

11. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

I had a friend who had a lunatic for a mother. She sent him to a rehab center when he was 16 because of weed. He was supposed to be there for 30 days...and they sent him home after 1 night. You don't go to places like that for weed.

--------------------------------
    Threadstarter:

Do you actually know anything about the drug other than propaganda? What you can do is become knowledgeable on the subject of drugs, and then discuss things with him like an adult. You keep feeding him things he knows are lies, and he will just throw it in your face.

I love how the end of your post you blame it on him getting in with the wrong people....you cant blame others, YOU are the parent.

You sound like a victim to propaganda and your own bad parenting actually.

12. Nizzel

Nizzel Guest

correct. listen to this person thread starter

13. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Wow. Some of you people are being awfully hard on him.
    I am not sure it does any good for his son for him to be taking all the blame.
    I.E., 'kid all your problems are my fault'. Yeah, like that is gonna stop the crack habit.

Dude, I have no advice. I won't slam you. But doing SOMETHING is better then doing nothing.

14. AKA

AKA New Member

Were do you live? There are several different kinds of treatment centers. There are the behavior modification type where they just talk about your inner child and tell you to just change and you get consiquences when you dont. Then there are the kind that borrow the 12 steps of AA/ NA. These are the type I would suggest.

Or you could send him to a Boot Camp like Yount Challenge or something. I personally dont think the boot camps work when your dealing with an addict.

I dont know for sure if any of these places accept teens but it would be worth looking into. http://www.kellyfdn.com/organizations.htm

These places teach what is known as Recovery Dynamics. I went through a treatemnt center that taught that. I have been sober for over 10 years

15. poweraid

poweraid OT Supporter

I agree I was planning on coming here saying rehab isn't needed for weed but if he is messed up with crack then yes that is the answer definitely. There are rehabs and they don't discriminate ages.

16. Create

Create :free at last:

Pot at 15, IMO, isn't that big of a deal for most. Your son is a different story. He does not have the sense/discipline to keep his nose clean.

Honestly, if he did have the sense to not get caught, it's better pot than alcohol.

What really worries me is that he is doing crack. I tried the stuff when I was well-established in life during my early 20's. Even then, with a few years on me, it was tough to curb the habit. In your son's case, after repeatedly showing lack of discipline, I'm sure crack will take over his life.

Each day you wait to help him is increasing the burden of addiction he will carry with him his whole life.

I won't come down on you as hard as some would, but whatever you're doing to guide him as a parent is not working. You need as much help as he does. Consider going to meetings specifically for parents of addicts.

He needs a non-parental personal support structure to facilitate him breaking the addiction (aka new, drug-free friends) The easiest way for him to find them will be in an outpatient rehabilitation program.

17. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

somebody deleted my post?.... why?

18. Don Ganja

Don Ganja Drunk Driving > *

mother fuckin :werd:

you need to focus on your kids crack habit. thouroghly research both crack and cannibis.

visit this website:

http://www.erowid.org/

its not pro-drug, and its not anti-drug. not to say there isnt any bias, but its one of the most unbiased drug information websites on the net.

19. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

good advice, great website

20. fixmefixmyhead

fixmefixmyhead Well-Known Member

a fuckin 15 year old is smoking crack? what the fuck!

21. poweraid

poweraid OT Supporter

lol @ your avatar

22. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

1 month old and still no update from the OP....hmmmm. :sleep:

23. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

I think we scared her off. It was her last post.:noes:

24. Xyroquell

Xyroquell New Member

Weed isn't so bad, problem is that you can get arrested for possessing it in your country. Weed is pretty much comparable with alcohol. The effects (even on long term) are quite similar and it is just as addictive. If you smoke a bit of weed every now and then or you drink some beer... It really doesn't make a difference. True, the experience differs but that's about it. But just as with alcohol, you can get so addicted to it that you come to a point where you can't live without it.

When my brother was 15 he was also smoking weed and my parents allowed it to a certain amount. (What else could they do, living close to Amsterdam!). They allowed it so they could keep an eye on the company when they were smoking weed in my brothers bedroom. They knew who his -so called- friends were.

What they did was giving him all the advice about drugs that he needed. Allowing him to smoke weed at home, but on the other hand limiting his freedom. He was allowed to go out with friends... 1 evening a week, back at 23:00. Hanging out with them at our home was nearly unlimited. But hanging out at a friends place was limited to a couple of hours. Hanging out with friends my parents approved was also unlimited.

Soon my brother began to realize that some of his friends were not that good as they did not like (or sometimes refused) to come to our place and those friendships wore out quite fast. Naturally my brother didn't like this, but trying to argue about those rules meant that he could lose some priviliges for some time. Once he went out on friday-night and didn't show up until saturday-afternoon. The result? grounded for a month. The first two weeks, my mother drove him to school in the morning and picked him up again after his last lesson ended.

By the time he got 18 he looked back on his life and checked his old 'friends'. That's when he realized that he had to thank my parents for beïng so strict... because most of those guys ended up in jail or without a future.

By the time my brother became 21 he stopped smoking weed on regular base (although he can not stop smoking sigarets) and he doesn't drink that much either.

I seriously don't know if it is of any help as the situations in America en Europe differ quite a lot. Especially if you're talking about the Netherlands and drugs. My parents could use this method because possessing a little soft-drugs is not a reason to get arrested.

It is not legal, like most foreign people seem to think, it's just that the police doesn't really care about a little soft-drugs. However if you carry more than a certain amount or when you have *any* amount of hard-drugs like XTC, LSD or something similar, you are taking serious risks... even here.

25. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

You and your brother are lucky to have such awesome parents. Bravo.

I don't think it's about weed being such a bad thing as much as being arrested 3 times in one month at such a young age. The tone of the post struck me as too casual.

The kid is either:
    A. Unbelievably unlucky.
    B. Incredibly stupid.
    C. Heavily into trafficking.
    D. All of the above.

I can only imagine how many other times there were that he didn't get caught. My heart goes out to Jerseygirl, she needs all the help she can get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.