need help with macbook pro 15"s

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by crucialkc, Jun 16, 2009.

1. crucialkc

crucialkc the earth is flat

okay, here's the deal.. I've never had a mac before.

I was looking at getting the new macbook pro 15" (lowest model, 2.53GHz) for $1599 with the basic specs:

2.53ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB memory
    250GB hard drive
    SD card slot
    Built-in 7-hour battery
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

the thing is, my school is clearancing the old macbook pros to make space for the new ones. they have the intermediate mbp (2.66GHz setup), which was originally $1999, for $1699. So.. instead of buying the low end NEW model for $1599, I can pay $100 more and get pretty much the same specs as the brand new 2.66GHz model 15".

my question is this: other than the new battery, what is the main difference between the old macbook pro 15" 2.66GHz and the new one?

what would you do in my situation? again, never owned a mac before so any help is much appreciated. thank you. sorry for the really long post.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

I gotta say...you'll love that new battery especially for school. The reviews that I've read have said that the battery meets and exceeds the 7 hour rating that Apple has given the new MBP's. The more processing power the better, but that minimal of a difference probably won't account for much at the moment or even 3 years from now when you're looking at Apple's latest offerings. Reviews also show how easy it is for a do it yourselfer to replace the battery and hard drive/ram in the new sealed unibodies so don't let that stop you either. I'd say go for the new one if it were me.

One more thing to consider: the new one ONLY has the 9400m whereas the "old" model you mentioned will also have the capability of switching to the faster 256mb 9600gt (could be the 512mb...was unsure of the way you worded). Will this be of concern? gaming? rendering 3D/effects?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  3. crucialkc

the "old" one has the 9600 already..

here are the exact stats of the old macbook pro 2.66ghz model that I can get for $1699:

15.4" display
    unibody
    2.66ghz intel core 2 duo
    4gb 1066mhz DDR3 SDRAM
    320gb hard drive
    nvidia geforce 9600m GT graphics processor and nvidia geforce 9400m graphics processor w/ 256mb of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
    512MB GDDR3 graphics memory

all of the other basics like isight webcam, etc.

to be completely honest, I'm just looking for something to browse the internet, watch videos, play music, write papers, typical college type of shit.. not really doing anything too strenuous at all, just wanted a computer where I didn't have to deal with all of that spyware/anti-virus/defrag/etc type of stuff.

4. crucialkc

pretty much just wondering if I should get a computer with slightly better specs for $100 more, or save the $100 and have a better battery.

I really don't know much about computers and am just trying to find something suitable for my needs (not underqualified but not overqualified either)

5. Pepe

Pepe New Member

just get the new one. normally i would say get the older one and save money, because the difference is not that great, but in this case you would have to pay more.

so yah, just get the new one, that battery is sick

6. crucialkc

does everyone that's not saying anything agree or are they just too lazy to post ? just wanted a couple more opinions before I pull the trigger. thank you to those who have contributed thus far

7. johan

johan Active Member

I would get the newer unibody mbp. Def.

8. crucialkc

also, if I buy a mac, should I wait til my free year of protection goes out (or the last day) and then purchase the 3 year applecare package? from what I understand, buying the 3 year applecare at the same time you buy your computer is stupid because that and the free year of applecare do not stack, they overlap...

9. Pepe

Pepe New Member

i wouldn't wait until the last day of your free year protection but i certainly wouldn't get it at the day of purchase either.

you explained it to yourself correctly

10. crucialkc

okay, that's exactly what i needed to know. never owned any apple product ever. thanks guys!

11. essejgnad

essejgnad poopty pangts

I just picked up a new 2.53 umbp for a great deal replacing my old 2.33 mbp

The battery lives up to what apple states and I absolutely love it. I've used it for upto 8 hours of moderate usage of just internet, itunes, and ichat.

For the stuff you mentioned you'd use it for, the newer umbp seems like the right choice

12. crucialkc

awesome. just placed my order. thanks!

13. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

i thought its only 2 years extra and just gets tagged onto the end of warranty, but otherwise, you're right. you can wait until the last day of your warranty to purchase it (just make sure you activate it too)

14. tomohr

tomohr look again! OT Supporter

which did you get? the newer one also comes with an SD slot, which I would find very handy to have.

15. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

I think he/we talked him into getting the new one with the 7 hour battery. He knew about the SD card slot....what I was trying to make him aware of was the graphics card differences which is the biggest difference outside of the battery and SD card slot.

16. crucialkc

yep. ended up with the new 2.53ghz 15". I don't even know what an expresscard slot is for (assuming the older model mbp I referred to earlier had one) so that didn't even weigh into my decision.

17. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

:werd: the new base model MBP is pretty much a regular macbook