Need help with fat burning and getting in shape routine

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by dawgboye, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dawgboye

dawgboye I'm a businessman who's commodity happens to be co

Hey folks,
    I recently started down my road to better health and a better life and I am doing very well by any standard (-60lbs since November).

I have been eating better and in moderation, been much more active etc.

But until recently I hadn't really hit the gym. When I did start, I would spend half an hour on the stationary and do 10 miles.

But then I'm pretty clueless about where to go from there. I don't want to be just thinner, I want to be lean and toned as well.

I will never be tiny, and I don't want to be. I'm 6'5", very broad shouldered. I've got another 140lbs to go before I hit my goal (and I know if I start putting on muscle, that weight goal needs to change).

I just want to know what to start doing to burn fat efficiently and get in to better overall shape.

I've been told various things. Scrap the bike and get some aqua shoes and do walking laps in the pool for a half hour cause it's low impact (I tore both ACLs playing football and never got them fixed) and the water and my buoyancy provide plenty of resistance to get my heart rate up and work out my entire body. I've also been told don't bother with the cardio, but I think that is bunk.

My goals are:
    burn lots of fat
    increase lung capacity
    increase stamina
    build muscle in arms (I want guns, not huge guns, but nice toned arms)
    toned abs, arse, etc.

I don't want to be any bulkier than I need to be because I'd like to start hiking and climbing and doing other things I havent been able to do since I was 10.

I want stronger calves and thighs, but I want to change the type of muscle mass in my thighs from tree trunks that had to carry my big ass for the past 20 years to more lean, toned thighs that are more useful for activities.

I'm listening.

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

don't listen... read.

the noob sticky at the top of the page. and the "wanna be a bodybuilder" thread

3. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.