A&P Need help with Digital rebel.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by 6']['9, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6']['9

6']['9 New Member

Hi im reading my owners manual on this camera and when i press Menu and go to decide on my image quality theres no RAW in the menu it only L,L, M, M, S,S so where can i locate this or do i need to do something else for this to come up.

2. weezerfan

weezerfan New Member

you need to be in manual mode, once you are....the option is there

3. mojito

mojito New Member

you have to be in the P, AV, TV, or M mode to enable RAW. Don;t worry, if you're an auto use P is basically the same thing

4. 6']['9

6']['9 New Member

thanks for the help, i just called cannon and he gave me that site to read and ill read everything first and get to know this thing. "THEN" ask the ?'s

5. 6']['9

6']['9 New Member

Now its not letting me open RAW files on Photoshop. Do i need to download that software in order for you to see the pics or can i just go to my computer, digital camera and open the pics from there?

6. Afterimage

Afterimage Guest

You can only use RAW is certain modes? :ugh::rofl::ugh:

As far as opening RAW files in Photoshop you probably need a plugin.

7. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

You can't just open a RAW file. RAW is just a collection of data. You need to convert it, I suggest using the TIFF format.

8. mojito

mojito New Member

what version of PS, you'll want CS to make you're life easier

the cam came with some software that'll do it too, but not near to the extent that PS CS would do

Use the file browser to open them

9. Afterimage

Afterimage Guest

Oh really? Then how come I can 'just open' RAW files with Nikon Capture without converting them? The only time I convert from NEF's is if I'm going to post pics, then I convert to jpeg.

10. mojito

mojito New Member

enough is enough dudes, take your arguments else where

the answer has been given already, you convert throguh software then SAVE as a Tiff, jpeg, .psd whatever

And afterimage, you never save images other than when you're posting a pic? you can't save back as a nef or crw, which is the idea. the raw image is just that, raw. you wouldn't want to save over it, its there to always have the original of

11. Afterimage

Afterimage Guest

Obviously you and Hua don't have the first clue how Nikon's NEF's work because you can save right back to NEF format while still maintaining the original data too. It just writes the updated tweaks in the header of the original file so you can view it originally as it came out of the camera or view it after editing, all in one file. I edit quite a few pics but I always save them right back to NEF format. If I need to post them or send them to somebody then I'll convert from the edited NEF to jpeg. Does anybody else want to post ignorant and incorrect information about NEF's so I can correct them? Nikon > Canon

12. mojito

mojito New Member

canon "does" the same thing, in that it saves the settings that you do, white balance, exposure, color correction, but all of that is part of camera raw, not a "fully edited" image.

13. Afterimage

Afterimage Guest

What do you mean by 'part of camera RAW'? I'm not following you there.

Any changes made to NEF's can be stored in the header of the original file so you can view it straight out of the camera, or after editing, in Nikon Capture. I can change all sorts of things (exposure value, sharpness, contrast, tone comp., color balance, color mode, white balance, unsharp mask, apply curves, digital fill-flash, etc.) and all I have to do is click a couple buttons to go from the original to the edited pic in a matter of seconds. I just make the changes I want then save it back to NEF, then the next time I view the pic it automatically displays the edited NEF, but I can view the 'straight out of the camera' NEF with only a couple clicks.

14. 6']['9

6']['9 New Member

and how do i do that? it seems like everytime i try to open the file in PSE it says
    "could not open file cause its not the right document.

15. Afterimage

Afterimage Guest

16. 6']['9

6']['9 New Member

yeah i called customer service and they told me how to do it thanks

17. accordianex

accordianex www.EMXsays.com

i only read a couple of the replys but damn,

umm raw works on EVERY setting, you set it too RAW in the set up on the back of the camera.

and only Photoshop CS will open a RAW picture, (other then RAW programs that you have to pay for) the canon program to open RAW pictures sucks.

seriously though, why take pics in RAW??

are you going to be printing huge prints from them?

if not, its not worth the trouble.

just take them in jpeg.

18. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

I thought people would shoot in RAW so if they need to edit/enhance the photo they would be able to do so with out loosing any quality in the photo after the editing.

19. Afterimage

Afterimage Guest

That's why I shoot RAW. I'm able to do all sorts of editing without killing the quality of the pic. Even on your best days you're going to end up with some pics you're not quite happy with, that's when RAW comes in handy. White balance and exposure compensation are the two things I tweak the most.

20. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

Uh, RAW format in Photoshop is different than RAW format of persay NEF RAW files of Nikon. The Photoshop RAW file format is provided as a way to send images as raw data to another application that doesn't support other file formats. You'll more than likely never ever need to save a file in this format.

Nikon offers the option to save images in their own RAW format. With their Nikon Capture software, you can save a processed image as a NEF file. Yes, we're on the same page here, no disputes. While in the Nikon Capture software, you can make adjustments to the image stored as a NEF file and all you're doing is changing the instruction set of the file. The original data is never touched. This allows you to revisit and reprocess the file within Nikon Capture as often as you like without ever altering the original file. I may already be telling you something you already know, so just look over it. Someone else reading this thread may learning something new today. :)

Please take a step off of your high horse. :)

21. Afterimage

Afterimage Guest

You said they couldn't be opened, period. You never specified whether it was Photoshop, Nikon Capture or any other program.

And once again, you don't need to explain a single thing to me. All you're doing is repeating what I already posted in a few posts above But thanks for telling me something I already know.

Please step off your highhorse. No need to post incorrect info ('they can't just be opened up') and posting things that have already been posted just to try to sound smart. That's twice you've tried to inject your 'know it all' incorrect information in this forum.

22. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

get off your highhorse and quit flaming people in this professional forum

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.