need help with deadlifting form

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by illmaticnyc, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illmaticnyc

illmaticnyc New Member

at the bottome of the lift when you initially take the barbell off the floor, are you initiating the lift with your legs or with your back and pulling backwards.

when i ws doing deadlifts yesterday i was trying to be really aware of what muscles i was using. i was initiating the lift with my legs and mid way through it i wasp ulling with my back. at the top of the movement id finish by straightening my back, fully bringing my lower back in and pulling my shoulders back.

now am i keeping my weight on my heels the whole time? and as i lower it am i keeping weight on my heels? i find it hard since the weight is in front of me and i naturally want to put my weight on my toes.

im also looking straight ahead and slightly up fixating on a point on the wall.im not curving my lowerback but keeping it straight or curved like a "U"

thanks guys

2. iceburgslim

iceburgslim Guest

Everything below your waist should remain as close to stationary as possible. Also make sure your shoulders are pulled back. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge than I will chime in, but that is how I do them.

3. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

Mistake #2: Pulling the shoulder blades togetherThis is a mistake I made for years. Stand in a deadlift stance and pull your shoulder blades together. Take a look at where your fingertips are. Now if you let your shoulders relax and even round forward a little you'll see your fingertips are much lower. This is why we teach a rounding of the upper back. First, the bar has to travel a shorter distance. Second, there's less stress on the shoulder region. It'll also help to keep your shoulder blades behind the bar. You'll read more on this later.

5. iceburgslim

iceburgslim Guest

Yeah I know, I just read it. Good information. :cool:

6. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

yeah its definitely better to think about keeping your chest out than your shoulder blades back. there should be a little roll in your upper back. its best to try to keep everything in the same position throughout the lift until you get to lockout level. if you drive with your legs first youll end up sldl'ing and if you pull with your back first youll lose leg drive.

7. siniquezu

siniquezu New Member

wtf font?

8. iceburgslim

iceburgslim Guest

I have a question about this. Do you guys think it's harder on your back to let your upper back arch as opposed to making sure it's straight by pulling your shoulder blades back? I realized that Dave Tate's advice is aimed at those trying to dl as much weight as possible and may not have back health in mind. Opinions?

9. Eschafer

Eschafer New Member

my form was definately pretty fucked up before, i was trying to just pull it straight up off the ground. i was starting with the bar too far away from my shins and putting a lot of weight on the front of my feet.
    today i started with the bar close and focused a lot more on sitting back while driving through the heels.

max went from ~410 to 460...and i could still use more work on form.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.