SRS Need help with bargaining with parents

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by fallenauthority, Jun 21, 2006.

1. fallenauthority

fallenauthority OT Supporter

Ok well not sure if this really belongs here but I need help guys here is the just of it.
    Ok so heres the deal, report cards are in and i suck at life. I lost my whole summer, yes ALL of it. I made a deal that if i didnt get all B's and 2 A's on this report card I lose my summer, well I lost it. I tried making a deal that I will get straight A's next year but no go, my word basically means nothing as of now. But I need your help, they told me if I come up with something that I can give them(not actually give but you know, some kind of proof) that they find reasonable I can have my summer back. So im calling on your guys' help. Please help me, I need my summer. Send me any ideas please. Thanks guys.

My summer was supposed to be a summer revolved around friends and mostly the girl I posted about in here before. I NEED this summer.

2. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

HOw old are you What grade are you in?

3. 2500

2500 Guest

say you'll take a summer tutoring class if you can have your summer back. be like, that way there is proof you wanna do good. and next time don't make stupid deals.

4. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

What do you mean when you say "you lost your summer??"

What are they going to make you do???

How old are you??

What kind of grades DID you GET?
    If they are really bad, take summer school.

5. fallenauthority

Im 17 going to be a senor next year, I passed 11th grade, i got b's c's and 2 d's no f's. By lose my summer i mean grounded from everything all summer.

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Dear God ,look your parents should love you for who you are, not for your grades or any other rediculous condition.

Your words are just exuses, and basically you just hate school.

You have the feeling that school is something forced upon you from the outside, now although that's true , ask yourself why you are in a school at the first place? Well for very selfish reasons, namely to give yourself a future , you are all doing it for yourself you know.

Basically it all comes down to this, you have to work for the rest of your life anyway, so you might as well make the best of it, stop working for your parents, and start working for yourself.

7. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

:hsugh: Why would you even make a deal like that? There seems to be a little more surrounding these circumstances than you are telling us.

8. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

Fixed.
    IBmyparentscaughtmewithdrugsandthreatenedtokickmeoutunlessImadethiscompromise.

or something like that :o :noes:

9. fallenauthority

No its simply the fact that ive been a fuckup in school for the past 6 years and they are sick of it.
    Darketernal, you are partially right, i fucking hate school, its bullshit, the shit i learn in highschool wont fucking help me in the slightest outside of school.
    I made a compromise like that to get my ass out of trouble from the last time i fucked up on report cards. I guess the only thing i can really do is to just deal with losing this summer, as much as it sucks, i made a deal and i didnt come through, guess i just have to deal with it, part of growing up is sticking to deals right?........fuck

10. Furner

Furner New Member

How do you feel about the grades you got? Did you do your best, and that is how the chips fell? Or do you feel that your grades are an unfair representation of your effort this year?

11. 2500

2500 Guest

the things you learn won't help you, but the GPA and better placement in a better college will help you. so, think of it as learning useless shit as a stepping stone to where you want to be, not as actually needing to know the 4th presidents, sisters, dog's name.

12. Furner

Furner New Member

i learned that the hard way when I graduated HS. The things you learn, although you dont think you will use, you will use. But more importantly, your grades are a reflection on your character. Almost anyone who dedicates themself to their studies can get good grades. I went through a period in college where I skipped alot of class, and my grades went down the shitter. But this semester I went to ALL of my classes every day, and I did a reasonable amount of studying outside of class. My grades, as well as almost everyone elses, is directly correlated to how much work you put into your classes. You may think it is bullshit, but how do you think that loser everyone makes fun of in HS gets the good grades? Its because he is not out smoking pot with his friends all weekend, he is studying and getting well rested so that he can be successful during the week.

If you feel that you are much more intelligent than your grades reflect, try proving yourself by taking the SAT or ACT. Although these tests are not a reflection of your dedication, they are a reflection of your abilities.

13. fallenauthority

2500, I see where you are coming from but im not going to college, im going to a technical school for automotive mechanics, yea i want to be a grease monkey. I understand what your saying and I appreciate the help.

Furner, I understand what your saying 100% and truthfully, I dont feel I did the best I couldve this marking period, I know if I wouldve done my best I could have pulled off straight A's if I wanted to. Truth is I dont know why i dont apply myself enough in school. I really dont.

Thanks all of you, you are all helping me to open my eyes and see what I need to do.
    Im just going to stand up for my end of the deal, do the responsible thing and take my punishment I agreed to, I deserve it, especially if I didnt do my best to fulfill my end of the bargain.

14. Furner

Furner New Member

good. reap the fruits or sorrows of your success or failure. One of the worst things that people can do is try to renegotiate a deal such as yours with a new deal. Its like people who are stuck in credit card debt. They may pay off one credit card with another, but everytime they do, they are just accumulating more and more debt. People do this alot in relationships too, they try a last-ditch effort to save the marriage/relationship by making some sort of radical promise to try and fix a ongoing issue.

Maybe, since you pretty much have no summer, you can take some sort of credit redemption at your HS? Even if it dosnt change your success or failure of your deal with your parents, you will improve your grades and GPA, and since you are grounded this summer, you can start improving your study habits.

And dont think that tech schools are a reason to blow off grades. I know of some highly selective mechanics schools who will base alot of their acceptance decisions on past academic performance. That is because there is no place in a tech school for a slacker. Unlike college, where there is years of general studies in addition to career-specific education, a tech school gets you right into the meat of the career right away. Also, because of this, you will need to rely on your high school traning in math, science, and writing/english, because the tech school probably wont be giving you much education in those areas. So basically, you need to consider your general studies courses in high school to be the last training in those areas that you will get. Value it highly, because it will be the skills you will use for the rest of your life.

15. Pringles

Pringles New Member

I'm also going to add that I believe strongly in my word. You made a choice and an agreement. YOU LOST! You stand by it and stand with pride. You made a mistake and you must learn from it. Maybe next time you won't gamble with something that means so much to you. If you just cheat yourself out of this learning experience it will only catch up to you. You will contiune to cheat until it becomes something serious and you will be punished by the law, rather than by mommy and daddy.

You need to love your parents for who they are as they are only trying to help you. Go and say "I love you" right now to your mother and father, if you feel scared or it's awkward for you to do so then something is wrong. You seem to be wanting to blame the grades as if they will change or you can fix them and you can't. You need to fix yourself towards your parents.

16. shiba

shiba Active Member

i started writing this long tirade on the value of education but i deleted it realizing that any words posted on a forum really has no impact on your life. Here's my advice, tell your parents to go fuck themselves and you take the summer you want. Granted they won't give you any dough, but thats what peddling drugs or working in Mcdonalds is for right? You are headed towards a life of minimum wage or far back office jobs at best so you might as well enjoy your freedom while you can. Our wonderful government had a large variety of welfare and aid programs which you can sort through and go through the long torturous process for. But who cares about that when you can at least relive the memories you'll make this summer.

17. Furner

Furner New Member

ignore this

18. Darketernal

Jesus Christ :uh:

What is written on a forum can have a life altering change of events in a persons life, but the thing is, the thread poster must have the will to do it.

It has had a life changing effect and support for many of us, if what you said is true we might as well shut down off-topic :dunno:

19. Darketernal

The power of your will has no ambition to feed it, nor the need to crush anything that is in your path to achieve your goal. Although no casualties should take place of course, you should see life as a pathway that is being blocked by obstacles, removing each obstacle will require energy and hard work in order to continue your journey.

20. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

No, don't ignore it. Shiba is trying to make a point...

21. fallenauthority

Shiba is tyring to be a fucking dick, and is succeeding as so. Look you fucking prick, you dont fucking know me, I am 17, I have NEVER been in trouble with the law, I have a flawless record, never done drugs, I have been to parties and been drunk, but who hasnt, I am NOT trouble I have had a job since i was 13, I have already made 12k this year working PART TIME at my job (jiffylube). I have not been jobless since 13, I have held 3 jobs, only reason for not holding the prior 2 were for chances to increase pay and use them as a stepping stone in life. I am very respectful of my parents, I have much respect for waht they have done for me and what they still do for me, they have raised me to be what I am and for that im grateful. I dont get handouts nor do I want them, I pay for all my shit besides food and clothing. I pay for my car, insurance, cell phone, any activities I choose to partake in. Now until you actually know me I suggest you STFU and move the fuck on.

22. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Good for you, but what are you going to do without a high school diploma or any type of schooling after high school? Guess what? You're going to head down the road Shiba was talking about ;) While his/her post seemed sarcastic, think about the truth that it holds.

23. fallenauthority

Ill have a diploma, I have all my credits except for 2 which im getting next year while taking a co-op class, which allows me to take 2 classes and leave for work. I am looking into technical schools to go to after highschool, i am going to further my education, just not in college, it will actually be in something I want to do. They say if you work a job you love you will never work a day in your life.

24. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

If you can't handle high school, what makes you think you can handle a technical college? I absolutely agree that you should try to find a job that you love. What are you interested in becoming?

25. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

Fallenauthority, here's some advice from someone who works in the automotive industry, specifically at a dealership.

If you really want to be a mechanic, quit that JiffyLube job and try to find a job at a dealership as a car wash boy/detailer/whatever. Tell the service manager your goals, that you want to be a tech. Work your ass off and eventually the service manager will see what a hard worker you are and he will give you an apprenticeship. This means the dealership will pay for part, if not all of your schooling. This will also give you an "in" at the dealer because dealership techs can make an ungodly amount of money on the flat rate system if they are fast.

Trust me, this is a better way of getting your mechanics' ticket than going to school on your own. It may take a bit longer but in the long run it will work out better and you will always be able to get a job with a dealership. Dealers won't even look at someone without dealership experience and it's damned hard to get an apprenticeship otherwise.

I hope that helps and good luck :)