MIL Need help with Army Recruiter

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sooka, May 17, 2007.

1. Sooka

Sooka New Member

So I've been seriously thinking about joining the Army, but before I sign any papers I want to wait at least a month or so to make sure it's the right decision. I've visited my recruiter today, brought him all my paperwork as he asked me to, and he interviewed me and gave me all the information. Then once we got to my criminal record, which is 3 misdemeanors and a felony (the felony and one of the misdemeanors was from my juvenile record), the recruiter told me that I have to give him the absolute guaranteed word on if I'm joining or not either today or tomorrow.

I told my recruiter that I still want to think about it for another month but he told me that because of the work he has to go through with the waivers, it's either now or never. I don't want to be going through MEPS until at least August or so and still want to have the summer to party. If I call him and tell him that I want to hold off for a month will he drop me altogether and not let me join at all or is he going to allow me to wait a month before talking to him again?

2. nadahonda

nadahonda Member

Doubt it...he/she's hungry. I'm pretty sure when you tell them no they are going to say 'well if you change your mind come back and talk to me' They probably just want an answer now because they need to make this months quota and not next months.

3. the raging enigma

the raging enigma If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidenc

this guy sounds a little shady. If he won't let you wait 30 days, tell him that you will go talk to another recruiter. then you will be able to tell if he is bullshitting you or not.

4. seven

seven New Member

forget him, you can always goto another recuiter.

5. Nyctrias

Nyctrias If I can't be my own...I'd feel better dead.

Recruiters use high pressure tactics most of the time. YOU make the decisions, not him. ibflamedfornoAV but since I've been there and gone through it, I know what I'm talking about. Anything he tells you that is not in writing, you can NOT count on.
    These guys are salesmen...make sure you treat them that way. Better to get what you want up front, than spend the four years kicking yourself for not standing up for yourself in the very beginning.

6. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

What he is doing is trying to get you to commit to something. It is a sales tactic not specific to recruitment. The longer you have to think about it the longer you have to talk yourself out of it. If he can get you now, he can most likely keep you. If he can keep you, that is one less person on his quota. You should look at him as a salesman trying to sell you something. He may lie, but as the no av fag posted before, you don't take words to boot camp, you take signed papers.

7. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

it sounds like you don't want to join anyways, so why jerk him around?

8. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

honestly I disagree.

it sounds like the guy knows that there's going to be a considerable amount of paperwork involved in getting waivers for the charges. He doesn't want to deal with the paperwork and phone calls etc only to have the guy decide at the last moment that he doesn't wanna do it. He knows if that happens he's wasted his time and a lot of other people's time. To recruiters time is valuable.

9. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

he is just trying to get you to join sooner. army is desperate for people now. you will be able to get it done at a later date. enjoy your summer with your friends and family like you want to, then get the enlistment done. you can also try to get it all done now and get a ship out date in august or later, you have to see what the ship out date is, sometimes depending on MOS and stuff you have to wait to go to basic anyways. i enlisted, went to MEPS for everything, and waited 5 months before i left for basic.

10. ozzy88m

ozzy88m New Member

he is trying to get you to join so he will get his monthly quota, join when you think you are ready not when he thinks you are ready, and one more thing if you have scored enough on your asvab to get the mos you want go for it, dont let him talk you out of it (made that mistake and i regret it)

11. Just remember this. You have his balls right now. When you sign your name on those papers he will have your balls.

edit: no homo

12. 12 Angry Glebs

12 Angry Glebs Damn Dirty Glebs!

btdt. dont listen to his tactics. You sign when your ready to and not a minute earlier.

13. JSin

JSin New Member

A waiver for a felony is difficult and a little time consuming so its understandable he wants to know where you stand before he starts working it, but if your not sure, say no and tell him to wait on doing the waiver, then everyone wins!