A&P Need help with Aerial Photography

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by dooks88, Apr 25, 2007.

1. dooks88

dooks88 need some bat wings

I have to take some aerial photos for my company next week. Going up in a Cessna and taking photos out of the window (open). Will be shooting job-sites and condos... Have to shoot at noon, so light may be an issue.

I have a D80 with 18-135 kit lens. Can I get it done with this equipment? I am prepared to buy a new lens/filters to get this done. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I only have one shot to get this right. :x:

2. I never use a neck strap but for aerial photography you neeeed one! :mamoru:

Wrap the strap around your arms a couple of times. I took some cool aeial shots with my point and shoot Sony 828, you shouldnt have a problem with a dslr and a 135mm lens. The last few times up I used 70-200 and it worked out pretty well. :dunno: I guess 135 will work fine just wont get a whole lot of reach. If you could get a longer lens then go for it. :bigthumb:

my buddy rob who is a "pro" with his own photography business :mamoru: was going to go up in a bi-plane at an air show and he was like. "this is going to be awesome, I'm only taking a wideangle and fisheye lens!"

:rofl: I don't know what he was thinking, good thing I told him to bring a zoom. :rofl:

3. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

You might want to rent something longer. As I've recently found out, it's not very expensive.

4. dooks88

Any Nikon users that can recomend a good 70-200? Preferably under $500. Should I use any filters?

5. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

buy a new lens and expense it :bowdown:

6. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

nikon doesn't make any good 70-200's under 500..but you can get the 70-200 f/2.8 VR for...3 times that! :)

7. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

If you wanna work on a budget (and youre shooting during bright daylight) the 70-300 should be fine. For ~200 bucks it's a decent lens. If you can spend a little more you can also look at the 70-300 VR.

8. dooks88

that would be the plan. Would like to keep it under $500 because the lens will be for my personal camera.

9. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Take a Phillips head screwdriver with you and remove the side window restraining bar from the Cessna. This will allow you to open the window all the way. It won't affect the integrity of the plane. The window will stay open in flight due to the slipstream. I used to shoot from Cessna's all the time and you have to be able to open the window all the way to get good shots.

10. dooks88

Thanks! That helps a ton...was worried about the small opening.

11. scirio

scirio Active Member

That's exactly what I was thinking :cool:

12. Joetabasco

Joetabasco The Wing King

Use a circular polarizer or UV filter as well... will make a nice difference... better contrast.

13. dooks88

i have a uv filter...which is better. I know i'll need a cp in the future...might pick it up sooner than later.