Need help with a new computer build :(

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TekDragon, Jan 3, 2007.

1. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

Here's the system:

Case: Antec P180B
    PSU: Antec 550 Neo HE
    Motherboard: Asus P5B Deluxe
    CPU: C2D E6600
    Heatsink: Thermalright Ultra 120
    Memory: 2x1gb DDR2 800 Corsair XMS-2 Dual Channel
    Video Card: eVGA 8800 GTS
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster 2 ZS Platinum
    Hard Drive: Seagate 320gb SATA Perp Rec Drive
    CD/DVD: Can't remember
    Floppy: Sony

Here's the problem:

Got everything plugged in. The motherboard is glowing. Turn the computer on and all the fans start up, including the video card fan. I can feel the hard drive spinning and the CD/DVD tray works.

However, the monitor won't display anything. I've tried 2 monitors, one of them a DVI, the other an old CRT (can't remember the name of the interface, VGA?) that I know works. Both of the monitors do not detect any signal.

I'm not sure if i'm supposed to be getting any beeping or not. When I went to install the front bezel connectors I installed the reset switch, power led, power switch, and hard drive led I. However, there wasn't any switch for sound, which I remember there being when I built my old computer. Don't know what's up with that.

2. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

Are you plugging in the monitor to the 8800 GTS or the onboard video?

edit: Just remembered the p5b doesn't have onboard video. Dunno what it could be. :dunno:

3. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

Tomorrow i'm going to try unplugging all the components and reconnecting them. If that doesn't work then I might just bite the bullet and take it into the nearest Best Buy and have the Geek Squad guys test each component in case one of them is failing.

4. fanatic

fanatic BC2 needs more barrell roll

best buy will likely charge, see if you can find a buddy with another vid card or extra ram

A local computer shop could also help, they'd be more friendly and possibly charge less to try and keep you as a customer.

5. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

Might try that.

Man, the lack of a 4 pin chassis speaker switch is REALLY pissing me off. I just poured over the motherboard and case manual to refresh my memory. YES, there is supposed to be a 4 pin switch that connects to the front bezel connector that controls the speaker that gives you system beeps.

This fucking P180B case doesn't come with one! It's not on the ribbon with the other switches (reset, power led, etc) and it doesn't mention its existance in the manual :madfawk:

6. fanatic

fanatic BC2 needs more barrell roll

I don't even use mine (tore it out of the case), but then again I haven't run into any major problems.

7. tellis100

tellis100 OT Supporter

Take the mb out of the case and try it. Could be shorting on something. If you still get the same, either the cpu or memory isn't seated or one is bad. Highly doubt the video would be bad.

Only boot up with these: cpu, memory, vid. Disconnect the hard drive, floppy :mamoru: and cd drives.

8. tellis100

tellis100 OT Supporter

You don't need the case to boot, use a small screwdriver to touch the power jumper header on the mb.

9. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

Ok, i'll try that. And if there's a problem I'm going to try jerry-rigging a solution to the speaker problem by putting one of my other cases nearby and stretching the 4 pin speaker switch over to the connector. That way at least I can get the warning beeps to tell me what kind of problem i'm looking at, exactly.

Either way, i'll give an update once I get a chance to try it this afternoon.

10. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

Good news, I figured out the problem. It was a bad memory stick. Thanks for the help guys :bowdown:

Now I just need to figure out how to send this stick back in for a replacement.

Yeah, it pisses me off. Someone on another thread said if I called Antec up they'd send me the speaker with the switch. :ugh:

I'm going to call up and request it even if I don't need it. If enough people bitch maybe they'll not be idiots next time and attach it like EVERY OTHER f'ing case manufacturer.