Need Help--Want to install a system in my car

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lafayettegirl04, Jun 13, 2005.

1. I'm out of the loop. I have no idea what speakers/subwoofers/amps are good. Any advice would help.:wiggle:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

might help if you listed what car, what budget, and what your goal is.

3. 2004 Kia spectra 4 door about $800-1000 budget already have an alpine deck just want a good subwoofer/amp to finish off the package

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'd spend part of that budget on sound deadening. Any bass in that car, and it'll shake to pieces.

Otherwise, what music do you listen to, etc, etc. Go listen to some stuff. Personally, I like CDT for my mains, and Elemental Designs or JL for my sub. There are lots of good amps out there. I like my JL monoblock. For $1000 you have some options if you already have the head unit.

5. so with my budget, i should be able to get a pretty good system right? i'd really just hate to spend too much money on something i don't need; so sound deadening is a must huh? i figured that, it rattles right now with my factory speakers :) i listen to mostely pop/r&b i like the way highs sound though think i should add some tweeters?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Well, I like my highs to be more soft, and not so harsh... So I go with the CDT silk-domes. The Titanium domes will be a little more harsh if you want the pronounced highs. Infinitys are way too harsh for my tastes, but they may be exactly what you're looking for.

As for sound deadening, that car is going to need lots of it. Plain and simple. I hate rattles, personally.

You shouldn't "add" tweeters. But with a $200 for fronts you're probably looking at a mid-range set of components, which will include a midbass, tweeter, and crossover. Personally, I'd ditch the rear speakers, entirely. With say $150 for sound deadening, that leaves you at least $650. Take out $50 for wire and misc. parts and you're down to $600 for sub and amps -- which is definitely doable. $200 for the Sub (like an Elemental Designs "O" series, or something comprable) and then $400 left for a good monoblock and 2-channel amp. You'd be set.

7. thanks buddy you've been a big help i'll take your advice with me and i'll let you know what happens :hsd:

8. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

for a grand, i'd just upgrade all 4 speakers, run them off of the head unit and buy, maybe, one 12 in a sealed box with about 500 watts. That would include most of the labor that you would spend if you can't do the install yourself. If you can, then you could spring for more expensive equipment. While sound deadning is good, I've found that most of my customers weren't really that bothered or did they notice any excess noise, because they weren't audiophiles or because the new system was so much better sounding than stock. If you do decide to go with SD, then I would use speaker kits that deaden the area immediatly around the speakers, and probably enough to deaden the trunk lid. If you so choose! Happy hunting, and I would choose a specialty shop vs. a "big Box" store, they will come much closer to finding a solution for you with personal service!

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I disagree with this for many reasons. First of all, don't do 4 speakers. It is very widely accepted that a good frontstage is better than having rear speakers. As for running speakers off of the head unit -- don't. Even low-power coaxials don't sound good off the head unit. In fact, if your speakers are even just below "decent", adding a quality amp will make them sound better (I've done this with pioneer speakers from walmart, btw) But if you get GOOD speakers, like a set of CDT components, then you NEED to amp them. As for sound deadening, there are two trains of thought. The first is the one you obviously followed -- make the system sound better -- which they don't need. However, they're driving a car that is GOING to rattle to peices. They need the sound deadening to prevent that. As for big-store vs. small-shop, I'm torn. You definitely can't listen to the advice from EITHER.

10. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

If you buy stuff off ebay, you could have one kick ass system, assuming you can install it yourself. Boston Pro's on Ebay are like 350 bucks :noes:

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

but you don't know what you're gonna get.

12. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

You are way too easily jaded man. If you buy from a reputable dealer like I mentioned before, or someone with at least 10 feedback with 100% rating, and read the description of what you are getting, you should be fine. You had that one experience with the amp and now won't buy eBay, cd player messes up, and now Eclipse is a shitty brand. And, if you're still concerned, you can make sure they have a return policy. This way, you are protected and can get your money back through eBay or paypal if you are getting screwed over.

13. veonake

Agreed, except for the rattling aspect. I've been running my system for a year, put about 20-25,000 miles on the car, and still have no rattling from my system. I'm sure this is true on some cars, and it's certainly not a bad precaution to take, but it doesn't always hold true like you imply.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I just find it interesting that everyone hates on sony, and they're the only company that hasn't given me a bad product yet :hsd:

well, that's not true. I've been 1000% happy with my JL gear, too.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I imply on the car that the poster has.... Kia Spectra.

16. veonake

It depends on your definition of a bad product. Also, no one hates on them in the non-car-audio world generally, except for their prices. As far as car audio, my first deck was a Sony MP-70. The cd player was broken from the first time I turned it on, so I returned it and got a working unit. From that point, sure it was reliable, but it didn't have anywhere NEAR the sound quality of my Eclipse CD5444, and lightyears from my CD8053 I just installed. That's the problem, they don't sound very good.

I have also been very satisfied with my JL 250/1 and JL 12w3v2.

17. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

I agree with your point about a good front stage, but in my experience (about 5 yrs sales/install) i've found that people that want to spend $1k aren't shopping for the incredible sound that a well designed front stage will offer. Hence my suggestions. Also, very true that if you amplify factory speakers, then you have already increased the sound at least twofold (a technique well praised by Eddy Kay-if you really know car audio sales). You also state that their car WILL rattle to pieces, which again would be very true if they were going to drop some serious subs/amps in the car, but in following experience, he's most likely looking for some decent bottom end, probably something modest, which shouldn't cause a big rattle problem. And as for the shops, I've worked for both, as a salesman/installer/manager, and can definitly attest to the fact that the specialty shop was MUCH more qualified than the Circuit City that I worked at. But, that's just my humble opinion.

18. veonake

I think what we are discussing is what would be the best choice, not what the often uninformed customer wants. Yea, most customers want to replace all four speakers, but that doesn't make it the best thing to do. Are you saying customers DON'T want better sound? I'm also curious how you measure something like a "twofold" increase in sound. Do you mean volume? Well, that could only be true if your amplifier was 10 times as powerful, so you couldn't mean volume. Quality? That would be impossible, as you can't truly measure sound quality. I'm not denying that you will almost always improve sound quality by adding an external amp. I will certainly agree that most specialty shops will be more qualified than circuit city.

19. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

we tried sony products one year, and every headunit came back within a year... not a precentage... every headunit.

we also sold jl audio... it was good stuff, they just never updated their line... and they did not fit our customer profile, since over 60% of our customers drive trucks. now that we've seen first hand they provide overpriced/flea market quality amps, we're glad we dropped the line.

20. veonake

"Flea market quality" amps? You make some of the most bold statements without proof on this forum. Please expound on that remark for us.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i have a hard time listening to your advice because it contradicts what everyone else says -- and what I've seen first-hand. Granted you've seen more car audio stuff than I have, but then you also contradict everyone else, it seems.

To call JL "flea-market" quality? Well, that's astounding.

22. twistid

what else would you call 2 seperate amps that caused interference in the fm reception in 2 seperate cars, or when you have a customer come in and buy a alpine amp after his 3rd jl amp went DC on him???

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

then I'll use your own reasoning against you... those are individual cases -- 3 from what I can tell... How many people (and how many HIGH END) are happy with JL... A lot.

24. twistid

in this market not many, outside of this market don't matter since i can't expirence it daily. it's all personal taste and expirences, just don't say a company is the ened all be all... because none truely are.

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

agreed\