Need help w/ IE (no addy bar)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chris87, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

A friends computer has Windows XP Home, and uses *i think* internet explorer 6.0.

Well, instead of an address bar, there's some bullshit "MYSEARCH" garbage, and on the right of is little buttons for google, yahoo, etc. :wtf:

I tried every combo of "view", "status bar, tool bar, explorer bar" to try and get both the Mysearch shit off, and the address bar back on. No luck. :(

She had a fuckload of spyware, so i updated and ran spy-bot, adaware, and spywareblaster (got ride of 300 files). Still was fucked up. Tried searching her computer for "mysearch" and came up with some small .cab, so i deleted it. No luck. Ran AVG virus scan -> nothing. Tried to run trendmicro and some other online virus scan, and nothing works. :confused:

I need help, b/c i don't know what the hell else to do. Only other thing i thought of was to uninstall IE, and re-install it, but i can't find a complete IE6.0 or higher set up file...All i could find was updates, and security patches.

:x:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2004
  2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

did you try uninstalling it maybe?

3. tempus

tempus Going quietly insane. OT Supporter

The solution is easy -- you should tell her to use Mozilla. j/k

Not that it'd help with all the other spyware removers you ran, but you might try Spybot Search and Destroy.

You might also try repairing Internet Explorer, though I think it might result in you having to re-Windows update her computer. I *think* this is the right article, with just enough information to get you in trouble. ;)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318378

4. Chris87

I haven't un-installed it yet. I couldn't find "uninstall" and an "install" IE files, so i haven't tried it yet. Don't exactly know how, so I'd better get some more help. That link should help out (thanks), but like you said, i'm willing to bet i'm just going to end up fucking shit up. :o

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

You can't uninstall IE. It's impossible.

6. Chris87

well then we're basically gaylord fockered? :dunno:

7. Penguin Man

:dunno: Could be. I'd say with that kind of problem, it's favorable to reinstall anyway. Only trouble is backup.

8. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

nothing is impossible, start -> settings -> control panel -> add remove programs -> add remove windows compenents -> Internet Explorer

available in winxp and all later versions of windows as far as i know. i believe this is due to their problems in court with forcing IE upon you

9. Penguin Man

Hm, I've never seen IE in the add/remove programs menu, but I also don't use XP.

10. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

yes it's new in xp

11. Chris87

:bowdown: My dad told me to try that also. Hopefully tomorrow i'll have time to go over there and try that.

12. Discrepancy

Discrepancy Guest

I know this is late, but:

http://help.mysearch.com/searchbar.html#q4

Google = win. Plus most shit that gets installed in your program files is from some company, and usually they'll have uninstallation info on their pages.

13. AccidenT

AccidenT Remember I will always love you, as I claw your fu

Use HijackThis; I've found it's the best at removing browser hijack objects. Just be careful about what you select to remove, because some valid stuff might be in the list, since it searches for symptoms of hijacking rather than specific programs.

http://www.snapfiles.com/dlnow/dlnow.dll?Inc=No&ID=106738

14. Luni420

Luni420 Boost Addict

Reinstalling due to this would be dumb.
    Create a new profile, copy all her stuff over to the new profile.
    Install Spybot Seek and Destroy, and Adaware. Run them both. Clear cache and cookies. And run all windows updates.

That should take care of the problem.

Oh and go into add/remove programs and delete all the shit you find in there.

15. Grab Spybot. Click the settings Tab and scroll down until you find "System start" and check "Run program once at next system Startup".

Restart the PC. This lets Spybot clean spyware out before it's loaded into memory.

Also make sure you have up to date definitions.

Probably not a solution, but it's something I'd try in your position.

16. Chris87

Update:

I'm not sure exactly what happened, but this mysearch shit is now gone from her computer. :confused: She didn't even realize it was gone. I was over there a few days ago and noticed it....I'm assuming the spyware detecting programs eventually got it.

Thanks for the help guys. :bigthumb:

17. The entry in the add remove components doesnt actually remove internet explorer it just hides all references to it. Its the same with outlook express, it just hides the shortcuts, folders etc.

Why dont you try repairing XP. Insert the disk like you were going to do a fresh install, choose repair after it has scanned for previous versions of windows. All your personal data like installed programs and documents are kept it just repairs any damaged windows files.

Obvoiusly (sp?) back up any inportant data before using it.

18. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

can you say mozzilla