Need help tuning:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Blue Leaves, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Blue Leaves

Blue Leaves Active Member

I want to do a safe overclock on the systerm I have right now.

What would you install or modify to get the most out of this system? I'm thinking of going 9800Pro or an x800 (if I can get it at cost) to replace the GF4.

P4 2.8E Prescott (Click)
    Asus P4P800 SE (Click)
    VisionTek GF4 Ti4400
    • Memory 128MB DDR
    • Core Clock 275MHz
    • Memory Clock 550MHz DDR memory
    • Dual RAMDACs 350MHz (each)
    1GB Dual Channel DDR400 Kingston Value Ram (click)
    2 Case fans and stock p4 fan (w/o arctic silver)

2. Meat0r

Meat0r New Member

Overclocking is just a case of trial and error. The first stop is to crank the VDIMM (voltage to the RAM) up to the max - don't worry, it is safe - memory almost never dies and is real volt happy :). Then just increase the FSB (or external clock) from the default 200MHz to say 205MHz. Then to ensure stability run a system stressing test such as Prime95, any modern game, 3DMark2001 etc etc. If it passes, then go up to 210MHz and run a stability test to see if it's stable. If it is repeat the process until the computer becomes unstable. When this happens (providing your temperatures are good) you'll need to 1) Increase CPU voltage 2) Increase chipset voltage or 3) Loosen memory timings. It's a long and drawn out process so if you really want to overclock, let me know, and I'll do it step by step and tell you what voltages to increase when etc etc. Or you could just take my very basic guide and see what you can come up with. Remember, as long as the temperatures are low then you can carry on increasing the voltages. With regards to the increments to go up in - I would say the next up in the scale; e.g if the default voltage is 1.5V and the next increase in the scale is 1.525V, then try that. Note: Overclocking voids any warranty you have on all items being overclocked so you are solely responsible for your actions :p

Now about the graphics card: Both are great so choose whatever fits your budget. Also remember that both cards are real PSU hogs so make sure you have upwards of 450W (from a good manufacturer).

If you need any assistance/tips with the overclocking just post in this thread or drop me a PM :)

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Warning now, the prescott's run really hot, so you may(probably will if you want anything decent) need to get a better heatsink and fan.
    It should fit, Thermalright released a new heatsink that's a larger version of their SP94, the new XP-120 is a monster and will take a 120mm fan. On a 2.8, you should easily be able to get to 3.4 or 3.5 if you keep it cool enough.