Need help troubleshooting V. Whore roommate, leaves in case...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MSIGuy, Oct 27, 2008.

1. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

So, long story short. My whore of a roommate is so incompetent that yesterday morning when she left for work, she failed to close the door completely. We had a storm, huge winds, and I woke up with close to a foot of leaves in my living room. I went to my computer and found it off, I opened the case and found that it was about 2" full of pulverized leaf dust.

I tried to power up the computer after thoroughly cleaning it. It powered up for about half a second, and shut off. I tried to power it up again, nothing. After waiting for a few minuets I could get it to power up again for another half second. I jumped the power supply with a fan on it, the PS stayed on no problem, so I decided to dismantle.

I took out the video card, RAM, disconnected all the hard drives, fans, reset the CMOS, took off the CPU cooler, took out the CPU, and left one fan hooked up to the CPU so it wouldn't shut down automatically.

I then tried to fire the computer up hoping that it would post, and throw me some errors for not having anything hooked up, but nothing, not even an error code on the MSI diagnostic LED thingie... lol

What could the problem be? What is the next thing to check? I'd love to have a spare mobo to throw in and check, same with a CPU, but I don't.

My hardware is:

Corsair 550w PSU
    MSI P6N SLI Platinum
    Intel Q6600 SCLAIR G0
    4GB G.Skill RAM (4x1GB sticks)
    MSI Geforce 8600 GT

When I pulled the CPU out and looked at it, I didn't notice anything unusual, no scoring, or burning, the mobo doesn't look unusual, nothing appears to be broken! I don't know where else to go!

What else can I try? I need to get this bugger up and running again!

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

for a mobo to post, it needs the key components (psu, cpu/heatsink, ram, and vga)

some mobos have a built-in pc speaker that will give out a series of beep codes if any of the key components are missing, some don't.

there's really not much you can do besides continue troubleshooting
    i'd probably take out the mobo from the case then hook up the key components (w/ 1 stick of ram only) and start replacing parts till it posts

3. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Okay, well, maybe post was the wrong word, but I figured that it would at least stay on, and throw me a code on the diagnostic on the mobo rather than just shut the fuck down.