A&P Need help to find a suction mount

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by backslide, Apr 16, 2004.

1. backslide

backslide This space for rent. Inquire inside.

It's used for holding handheld spotlights in place.

I need it for a project that I'm working on. I read about it in an article, but it's an Australian article and so the link for the merchant is an Australian one. They sell mostly marine/boat stuff.

It looks like this:
    [​IMG]

The description that the article gives is:
    I've looked through various websites selling photo equipment but can't find anything like it. And I don't know the first thing about marine/boat stuff so I don't know where to look.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or if the mount looks familiar, post up.

Thanks.

2. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

www.manfrotto.com will have an excellent suction mount and a range of fittings to use with it for a great degree of versatility, but you can expect to pay for it!

Alternatively another solution I've seen recently which may or may not be useful to you can be found at www.stickypod.com

A photographer associate of mine actually gave me one of his old suction mounts when he bought the Manfrotto one. It is the exact unit you have posted a pic of, so now I know where I can get more of them, and damn are they cheap! :wiggle: I don't know if I'd truly trust really expensive gear to it though, but in all the tests I've done it certainly does grip extremely well!

EDIT: Here's the Manfrotto, might not be too easy to find on their site without searching - http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templates/itemalone.php3?itemid=333

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  3. backslide

backslide This space for rent. Inquire inside.

Thanks. The stickypods are kind of ghetto looking. :o

Does the mount have a manufacturer's name on it? Maybe I can find the model of the suction mount here in the States by the manufacturer.

Yeah, one reason I want to find the suction mount is because of the cost. I'm guessing the Manfrotto mounts will be expensive and the one you linked doesn't look like it'll hold up if mounted on the outside of a car.

4. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

they look ghetto but work like a champ. I know a guy who had his one a bunch of 240's during a drifting event with his video camera on the side and it was fine. You can put a lot of weight on there and not have to worry that much about your camera. Look at the picture with the weight on the extention.

5. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Yeah, the sticky pods are a bit ghetto, but function over form, I guess...

No manufacturer's name on the mount I have here, sorry. The Australian boating supply company mentioned in the text you posted above has a website, I couldn't see any reference to the mount on their site, but it's possible it's just not something listed on their site. It might pay to email them and ask?

www.glascraft.com.au

As for the Manfrotto, they're about as good as you'll get. You will pay a pretty sum of money for one, but they are very good. Outside the car should be no problem, I used one to mount a lipstick camera on the outside of a car once.